Forum

• Hi Friends,

I got three wifi phones , 2 wireless Laptops,ONDO sipserver and 11g Radio of strixsystems.

Iam facing a Unusual Problem.
    When the Wifi phones roam inside the Coverage area ,
    i face no problem in my wireless network.

When the one phone goes out of the coverage area my whole network starts behaving erractically.

I did a ping tests from my laptop in the wired network to all my clients.[Opening multiple Command Lines].The ping work great until my Wifi phone goes out of coverage.

Once it goes out of coverage i get 90 % packet loss
    on my network.[All clients]

To isolate the issue i using a soft phone [Perr-peer ipphone]Lptops and tried the same test.
    No problem now .

How do i figure out the problem with my phone.
    Is it sending a bad disassociation frame which
    brings the whole network down.

Please help

• Hi wirelesswizardCWSP,

The first step is to get a WLAN protocol analyzer like AirMagnet, AiroPeek, or CommView for WiFi and see what's happening on each of the channels you are using. This type of problem is exactly what these analyzers are made for. This is a neat problem you describe!

Devin

• By (Deleted User)

Just curious... what type of Wi-Fi phones are these? I'd like to get one to use as a Denial of Service Attack example.

Joel

• Hi joel,

I use f1000 wifi phones from utstarcom.
    Can you suggest me a proper Wifi phone
    which roams properly.

I want to position a proper wifi phone for enterprise
    customers.

Best regards,
    S.Senthilraj CWNA CWSP

• I tried sniifing using Commview.
    I was not able to find Disassociation frames from the phones which go out of the coverage area.

Im not able to find the reason for this.
    The network comes back if i click the hang up button on the phone.I think the phone doesnt seem to unregister with the SIP server and packets get queued for the Wifi phone with lot of retrys

Can you educte me on this .

Best regards.
    S.Senthilraj CWNA,CWSP

• By (Deleted User)

If you are thinking of deploying a Wi-Fi-capable IP telephony system for an enterprise environment, I would recommend these solutions:
    - Spectralink
    - Vocera
    - Cisco 7920 IP Phone with Call Manager

There are some other solutions on the horizon as well, but those are the ones that have been successfully deployed in many customer environments.

Linksys also has some very cool offerings coming out very soon for SOHO environments where 16 or less phones are needed.

Joel

• How will a AP get know the disconnection of a wireless client when it roams out of Coverage Area.
    Should the client send a disassociation Frame to the AP.

Best regards,
    S.Senthilraj

Page 1 of 1