Forum

• Hi ,

Have you people seen a Clinet working at Data rates
    22 and 33 Mbps .Are these Valid Data entry rates for
    802.11 a/g

Best regards,
    S.Senthilraj

• S. Senthilraj,

I have not seen clients working at data rates of 22 and 33 Mbps but these rates are allowable options in 802.11g clause 19- ERP-PBCC (Packet Binary Convolution Coding Modulation).

PBCC modulation is allowed in 802.11b for lower rates also but I don't think it is a part of 802.11a.

Regards,

moe

• 802.11g requires implementation of two operational modes- OFDM for higher rates and 802.11b CCK for backward compatibility.

During the draft of the standard there was debate about whether 802.11g would rely on OFDM or PBCC. Eventually OFDM won. But Texas Instruments had spent a lot of money developing PBCC and their earlier products used it. TI wanted their products to be able to interoperate with other manufacturers coming products at higher data rates. So TI lobbied hard for inclusion of PBCC. I guess inclusion of PBCC as an optional mode (at 22 and 33 Mbps) was a compromise reached by the 802.11g Task Group to move the standard forward.

• By (Deleted User)

Could be coming from some old D-Link equipment that was pre-802.11g and labelled as "Turbo" or something like that.

Joel

Page 1 of 1