Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Hii everybody ..

Can u plz xplain me under what situation will probe request will be Acknowleged with an ACK frame.

Today I observed that one of the D-link Station is sending Unicast probe request to a all AP's and all are followed by ACK frame .

Its little confusion for me as generally probe requests are broadcasted and followed by probe Response but in this case Probe request was unicast and it is followed by the ACk frame each time.

Plz xplain me this .

With Thanks

Vinay Saini

• If the packets are good (not corrupted) then the only think I can think of is that the DLink is not operating within the standards. You may ask how that is, but I have witnesses certain brands deliberately act outside of the standards.

The AP is acting properly because it is ACK'ing a unicast frame, just as it is supposed to.

As far as exactly why, what I am saying is just a guess. However, make sure that the packets you are seeing are not corrupt. Check the FCS to make sure. The weirdest things will show up if the packet is corrupt.

• I had the same question from an instructor only 2 weeks ago. My thoughts were the same at GTHill's.

Devinator

• By (Deleted User)

Hii GT HILL and DEV.

Thanx for helping me out.I think u r right .I checked the frames all frames are correct , no Errors.

But in case probe request is responded back with an ACK frame , what is the use of that ? becoz in this case station will not be able to get necessary information (present in Probe responce).

Any idea how this will work out..??

Thanx

Vinay Saini

• It's not supposed to work this way at all, so I think that in this case there would be no real purpose behind the scanning.

Page 1 of 1