Forum

• Anyone want to speculate on what will happen if voip phones start doing ad hoc networking in the enterprise? See the last paragraph here:

http://us.zyxel.com/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040520161246&CategoryGroupNo=PDCA2006035

Devinator

• By (Deleted User)

P2P IP-Centric Wireless Mesh Networks?

First there's an RF mess with the phones at 802.11b, will most likely make the other stations utilize protection mechanisms. That includes the future Clause 20 HT stations.

Will there be a need for more IP addresses... (IPV6) ..everybody wants to chat ... with the WIFI walkie -talkie?

DHCP.. IP address Conflict? Configuration errors, multiple phones seeking service.....192.168.?.?

Convergence .. Congestion control....Is this an "Autonomous" IP to IP network? Who's router is in control?

Security? got your IP (static ?) ...got your MAC....Can you hear me NOW?

• By (Deleted User)

Good thing, I am refreshing

Out of the new: Wireless# Study Guide:

pages 73,74,76

Adhoc Networks

---No access point , no router and no central server (management)

---No access to Internet or network infrastructure

---Limited in size....

---Consistency problems ... can wreak havoc on a business network

• Anyone want to speculate on what will happen if voip phones start doing ad hoc networking in the enterprise?

We won't have to scream over our cubes to our colleagues?

• ok, I'll give you guys some stuff to speculate on....

How will WIPS respond to an encrypted ad hoc connection?

802.11e and 802.11i together give us the necessary handshakes to form secure ad hoc networks OR secure peer connections within a BSS (Direct Link Setup). If phones are capable of such, WIPS is likely (by default) to kill such links with deauth attacks (at least until 802.11w shows up) thinking they're bad.

thoughts?

Devinator

• Hi:

I think WIPS policy should be to insist on a plainly unique SSID for the protected WLAN, then deauthenticate stations of any BSS that without permission copies that SSID. An IBSS with SSID of "Linksys" is not likely a threat worthy of being deauthenticated.

Direct Links between QSTAs are moderated by a QAP. In other words two Wi-Fi phones aren't going to negotiate a direct link without first associating with a QBSS. I see no reason why a WIPS should deauthenticate these.

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

Page 1 of 1