Forum

• Today begins my journey to the CWNE certification. I just received the book from Amazon. It was published in 2005. I know wireless has been evolving ever since. How much of the book is outdated or different from material that might be on the test? Is there any material maybe more current that I could use as a cross reference? Is there any proprietary stuff that I need to know like CCX and what versions accomplish what?

I'm starting the reading today, so maybe I'll get the answers once I dive in. I just figured that it didn't hurt to ask right out of the gate....

Also, *shameful solicitation* if there are any CWNEs in the Connecticut area that want to grab a cup of coffee I would like to extend the offer. I work with a bunch of router/switch guys. They refer to me as the wireless guru, but I know I have much to learn. Thanks in advance.

Ant Lefebvre
    CWNA, CWSP, CCNP, CCDA

• Very good questions indeed.

http://www.cwnp.com/exams/pw0300.html

Make sure you read the Exam Objectives thoroughly. There's no single book on the market that's going to do it for you. This test examines much more than you could find in a single book.

STUDY the 802.11 standard as amended and understand our exam terminology. Understand all of the Wi-Fi Alliance certifications.

Get some serious hands-on with a WLAN controller and a wVoIP deployment if possible. Do everything in a routed (layer 3) network.

Spend some quality time with your favorite 802.11 protocol analyzer and spectrum analyzer. They're your best friends.

This is a good place to start.

Thanks, and the best of luck to you!

Devinator

• Thanks a bunch.

I remember taking the other CWNP tests and the books for them were very well written. I was able to pass the exams first shot because of both of them. I was also lucky enough to have had AirDefense WLAN hacker training and Airespace training and experience (back before they were sucked up by Cisco.)

I still look at the CWNA book to get information I should know but forget from time to time.

And pointing me in the direction for the updated material helps alot.

• Bryan,

Thanks for the feedback. As I was watching the pages roll off the printer, I noticed a lot of terms were explained at a much more understandable level.

As a side note, I just wanted say that AirDefense Mobile is such a great product. I downloaded the demo so that I could troubleshoot a problem with one of our client's locations. Within 5 minutes I was able to identify the problem they had been working on for a month. Since our wireless business has been picking up as of late, we are seriously looking into purchasing the full copy. Of course if it was up to me alone, I would already have it. :)

• Thank you for the high praise of Mobile. If you add an OFFICIAL CWNP class to your study you will get a FREE copy of Mobile. Just fill out the online request and fax in a copy of your class certificate. The offer details are here: http://www.airdefense.net/training/cwnp/cwnp_training.php

Keep posting. The forums are a great source of help.

Bryan

• Bryan,

You guys rule.

Devinator

Page 1 of 1