Forum

• Hi, folks.

Firstly, my apologies, I realised I have posted this in completely the wrong forum - admins, please move it :D

I have been asked in as a subcontractor to supply the Wifi units for an install, and they will be Cisco's, around 15 units in all.

The people who have asked me in are specifying CAT6 Shielded cabling just for the WiFi (other devices will get their own cabling). For me, Cat 5e unshielded would be sufficient, because unless the grounding is accuratley maintained, it causes more problems as the shield acts like an antenna.

I mentioned grounding and was met by a few blank stares - they are planning on using shielded, but not bothering with grounding.

Is there a definitive article somewhere that states the cabling requirements for a WiFi installation ?

I really need to ensure that the advice I give regarding the cabling is a) correct and b) can be verified..

Many thanks,

Neil Mac

• TIA 568 in general should apply.

• Thanks for the reply , Paul.

However, this doesn't really address the issue of grounding - do you know any resource that would explain it ?

-nm

Page 1 of 1