Forum

• Hi,

We have three vlans; namely: vlan 10, vlan 20 and vlan 30 and need to map with single SSID. Now my query is

1. Is it possible to map three vlans with single SSID?
    2. How will the users get ip addresses from Vlan 10, 20 and 30 respectively? What is the configuration needed?

• OK, firstly, what model of AP and do you have a controller ?

The second question is why would you want to have VLANS using the same SSID ? Given hat VLANS define different broadcast domains, it follows that you would want to identify them (hence different SSID's).

If they are the same, roaming would be a nightmare as a roam to a different VLAN puts you on a different subnet.

If you use a VLAN aware switch and a VLAN aware router you will be able to get the access you need.

NM

• By (Deleted User)

One reason to break down the broadcast domain is if you have a large campus with thousandths of users. Roaming is possible and is handled by Ethernet-over-IP tunnels in the Cisco controllers for example.

• christimol Escribi?3:

Hi,

We have three vlans; namely: vlan 10, vlan 20 and vlan 30 and need to map with single SSID. Now my query is

1. Is it possible to map three vlans with single SSID?
    2. How will the users get ip addresses from Vlan 10, 20 and 30 respectively? What is the configuration needed?

On a Cisco WLC you can use AP Groups.

Example:

"AP Group VLANs are used in a setup where a Universal WLAN (service set identifier [SSID]) is required but clients need to be differentiated (placed on different interfaces configured on the WLC) by virtue of physical LAPs they associate with."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

I hope that is what you are looking for.

• Thanks, vledford.

I understood that, it is possible to map three or more vlans with same ssid.

There are 30 APs located in the campus.They have three vlans are namely; vlan 10, vlan 20, vlan 30 mapped with same ssid in the wlan controller.

In such a case, we need to assign the vlan (vlan 10)name for particular AP. So that only vlan 10 users can get connected with this accesspoints, remaining vlan users (vlan 20 & vlan 30)will be connected with respective APs where the vlans are mapped.

am i right?

• christimol Escribi?3:

am i right?

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Page 1 of 1