Forum

• Hey guys, long time no speak. I am a CWNA from 2003 and CWAP from 2005. I have been out of general IT and wireless for a couple of years now. I have been working on this http://www.amilabs.com/tgs

Nonetheless, I was engaged to conduct an 802.11n Cisco based wireless site survey and analysis for a small one to two AP site. I am not too familiar with N yet. I wanted to wait until the standard was ratified before delving into any books or standard spec docs.

I do have an updated copy of Commview for wifi which I will use but I need to find some resources where I can study up on N protocol, functions and sit survey tips for I believe surveys are different for N. Can anyone point me in the right direction with some reference links? Also does the new CWNA book cover N fully?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards..

• By (Deleted User)

I have not seen the new book yet, but 802.11n is so much more complicated it would need its own book, That is if you really got into the details (PHY layer etc).

A lot of companies, Meru, Aruba, CWNP, etc. are putting on demonstrations, seminars, webinars, etc. on "n". I suggest you attend several of them.

• Need to know about 802.11then you really need to get this book
    Next Genration Wireless LANs by Eldad Perahia and Robert stacey Cambridge University Press

Happy Reading!!

• Multiple 802.11n tutorials available on the net - You can check out google. Example: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/12275311/IEEE-80211n-Tutorial

With regards to specific help on 802.11n coverage, you can play around with the free 802.11n coverage estimator tool at http://www.airtightnetworks.com/home/solutions/80211n/80211n-wlan-coverage-estimator.html

Hope it helps.

• I would recommend first reading the 802.11n chapter in the PWO-104 CWNA guide. This is an excellent introduction to the "ways of the n". No math is involved and it will give you a good heads-up on the terminology used. There used to be a free sample chapter [ 802.11n ] on this website. Perhaps some kind soul can let you know where it is or send you a copy if it is no longer there.

Next step would be to contact the manufacturers. They???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡ére all desperate to sell these boxes and will send you all sorts of document goodies.

I???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡éve read through the Next Generation Wireless Lans book twice. It is an excellent reference. It contains a lot of in-depth mathematical analysis, but the good thing is that those parts are easily identifiable. In other words they have not really mixed up stuff that explains how the framing works etc. ,along with the math. You can easily see the heavy math sections and leave them out completely or just skim over them. The last few chapters are really good. They go into the framing details and provide a zillion tables with all the options. I would use that book as desktop reference.

The CWNP folks do a lovely Powerpoint type of training package for sale [ wee bit pricey, but very good ]. No math involved.

The tutorial that Gopi provided is very nice. Just forget the math parts for now [ or forever ] or actually enjoy them depending on your nature !! I have that tutorial now as a shortcut on my desktop.

Don???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡ét let the n-beast overwhelm you. Start off nice and gentle, learning a little about MIMO, Spatial Multiplexing and Beamforming. Once you???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡éve got those under your belt, read about Channel Bonding, Protection Mechanisms etc etc. Do a little each day.

I???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡éd say doing it this way, within two weeks you should have a good feel for the basics. Do a little each day and learn it well rather than jumping in and trying to learn everything at once. 802.11n is very, very complicated, but there are some basic building blocks that will get you started. I read one page from the Next Gen Wireless Lans book each day, and that keeps the old brain ticking over.

Nice and slow, one step at a time.

Good Luck

Dave

• Thanks for your note, Dave.

Also, very nice set of tips for anybody wanting to learn .11n - the best part of your advice is to not to get overlwhelmed and do it gradually.

• As always a great community to work with.

I did come across the tutorial Gopi listed on google and will take everyone's advice here and read up, first on the cwna chapter and I will pickup the Next Gen wireless book as well. I will also check out vendor links. Thanks again for the direction and assist folks.

A little late but Happy Halloween.

Page 1 of 1