Forum

• By (Deleted User)

HI,
    I have a small basic doubt. How a client and AP both will associate?
    For example: I created a SSID name as "wi-fi" and kept a "wpa" encryption.
    now a user is willing to associated with this SSID what the steps will happen in between user and AP? and also please tell me after client connected to this SSID he/she willing to open a page "www.cwnp.com" then how the packets will flow? How the destination page will open? please give me a clear idea.

Thanks in advance,
    Manohar.G :D :D :D

• hi Manohar,

the best way to learn it is to see it yourself! Analyse the packets within a protocol/packet-analyzer.

Download the Backtrack 4 ISO-file and burn it to a CD. Backtrack is booting from the CD and is a Linux-flavour. Search for the application Wireshark. Wireshark is open-source. There is also a windows-version but that does not work wireless unless you have bought an very expensive PCMCIA card.

Let an other computer associate with you AP. Wireshark will catch the packets which you can analyse it in depth.

Greetz

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks Hope,

• You can download and view sample capture files (after you install Wireshark) from here:

http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures#head-8200ea41fe91ebefa1b6ea9f86d344c290241276

This image is from the 802.11 HTTP sample capture file and is related to your question. Notice the top line is the DNS query thus begins the clients trek to his requested page from internet. Here you get to see the numerous ACK's, as well.

• By (Deleted User)

Hi kenk,
    Thank u very much. I will go through it if any doubt raises, let me know you.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1