Forum

• As I understand the first two bits of a mac address determine if it is a individual or group and local or global.  I have been noticing clients connecting with all sorts of MAC addresses however, usually a WLAN address starts with 00.  That makes sense to me as the number of OUI's maybe a relatively small number.  Overall the bulk of the address seem to have a leading 00.  Now I am aware that 00:00:00:00:00:00 - 3F:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF are fair game for individual global addresses i.e. these should be unique.  Occasionally I will seen something like 30:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, 0c:00:00:00:00:00, or 04:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.  My question is what is why don't I see a more homogenous mix of OUI's? And, why do companies like apple have so many various OUI's. I'm sure this is probably a very simple answer however, I just find it interesting that I don't see more devices that are not of a 00:xx:xx OUI's.  I'm assuming that OUI's that start with 00:xx:xx will eventually disappear as they will be for obsolete tech? Just curious, I know I use the leading 00's as a dead give away for client/AP mac address in packet traces; wondering if it will be more difficulte to discern this in the future? Sorry if this is a little random, too much caffeine today? =)

Page 1 of 1