Forum

• I will have to play with this in the lab. However, my understanding is that it will transmit at the lowest basic rate. Most likely on a "default" install this will be 1 or 6 Mb/s depending on whether your using a/b/g. As I understand, this will top out at 11 and 24 Mb/s respectively for b and a/g. That is pretty slow. You are not likely to be using a greenfield 11n deployment so... these rules would apply for 11n as well. I'm not sure what a green field 11n deployment would use. I will have to test this. At any rate, the vendors appear to be getting it right. It would be difficult to correlate the difference between sending 1 low rate multicast and several high rate unicast frames. But I have to believe even with the extra IFS, RTS/CTS, and ACKs you would still be ahead with several 300 Mb/s unicast transmissions than 1 even 24 Mb/s multicast. If you're solution is completely centralized I could see some limitations on the processing to convert multicast to unicast. But if you have intelligent AP's this shouldn't be too bad on processing. So, is it better to mulitcast, multicast to the AP then unicast, or unicast only? I guess the answer maybe the one often come to; it depends. I'd love to hear more experiences on this.

Page 1 of 1