Forum

• Hello All,

Does any one have the info about what is the significance of locale value for country code? As you all may know that we set the country code for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band for selecting the regulatory domain. Recently I am testing with enterprise wireless switch, in that I found that one of my AP is not showing all the 5GHz channels, when I asked vendor about this he said since that AP does not support the DFS so UNII-2 and UNII-2e channels are blocked. I have asked him how they did this? He said by setting the locale value of that AP. I went through the google but did not finf any good docs which tell what is the significance of this locale value.

Like for US it have US/40 and US/41, for Taiwan it have TW/3, for Japan it have JP/9 etc. what is this number indicates for?

Any info is highly appriciated.

• Not sure exactly what you?re asking so here goes; let?s say that all your AP?s are cabled and powered, but require a WLAN switch for operation. So you cable up the switch and by default the AP?s all get adopted, but because the country code is not set the switch will not adopt any of them. So you console in, give the switch an IP, then go into the gui and the very first screen will have highlighted ?set country code?, as soon as the country code is set the switch will begin to adopt all the AP?s. A couple of reasons for this, but basically to comply with the local regulations regarding the channels available in each band for each regulatory domain. I think its Nicaragua that has no restrictions, and what everybody uses for testing? This is just 1 way a manufacturer can handle this; the other is like Cisco where they make an AP for each approved domain where the channels available to the AP are hard coded from the factory. As to DFS support, an AP has to support the detection of aviation radars to operate on certain channels, due to the lack of support manufacturers were disabling the use of DFS affected channels on non-DFS approved AP?s. Not sure where you?re at but here?s the FCC DFS regulation describing a DFS compliant AP: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=b792a250a4eede08787b333cc251b689&rgn=div8&view=text&node=47:1.0.1.1.14.5.243.4&idno=47

Good Luck!!!

• Dear Sirkozz,

Thanks a lot for your info. It is usefull for me. My question is what is the meaning of the no. 40 or 41 when we said the locale for US country code is US/40 or US/41? That simple. I cannot find any documents about this locale definition.

• What switch? Have you checked the documentation?

• Avaya WC8180 originally from nortel WLAN8180.

• Q: How do I set the Country Code to enable the radio?
    The correct Country Code must be set for the country in which you operate the access point so that it uses the correct authorized radio channels for wireless network devices.

The North America product, J8130A, comes with the Country Code pre-configured; the worldwide product, J8131A, does not. The radio is disabled if the Country Code is not set. Once the Country Code is set and saved, the radio is enabled.

If you are using the worldwide product, J8131A, before configuring radio settings on the access point, you must first use the CLI to set the Country Code. You can display the available country codes in the CLI by using the country? command from the Exec level. After a Country Code is entered the country command is removed from the Command Line Interface (CLI). If an invalid Country Code has been entered, reboot the access point by pressing the reset button for at least five seconds. This restores the factory default settings.

• By (Deleted User)

http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDocs/CountryCode

HEre a lsit I found on the Internet.

The different codes used by the vendors may not follow a standard. I do not know. But this list contains some useful information that countries which are following either the FCC or ETSI, may still do not follow all details but may have added som regulations themselves.

Maybe one can grab a similar lists from other client driver software!

Page 1 of 1