Forum

• Searched and found posts to be quite dated, so I'm looking for fresh input. I'm trying to decide on the purchase of a comprehensive wireless testing and analysis tool. To date the products used have provided usable data, but have been somewhat piecemeal and it's time to get the right tool for the job. This will be used to:

Troubleshoot client connectivity issues including data, video, and voice with the ability to read capture files and summarize/analyze device roam times/efficiency, voip performance metrics including jitter and network latency as well as provide overall wireless infrastrucutre health observed from a trace file.

Test and certify new client devices before introduction into the production environment.

Perform new architecture and design tests as well as analyze proposed configuration changes in a test site environment before deployment to production.

Some site surveying, site verification capabilities would be a plus, though I can see this feature being served by a tool designed specifically for this purpose.

I understand that a tool is still only as good as the engineer using it and their ability to accurately interpret the data collected. I'm looking for a tool that does a good job at helping reduce the amount of time it takes to analyze the data.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

• It sounds like you are asking for too many functions in one tool.

I use OmniPeek for multi-channel captures (which you need for observing roaming behavior ). The most expensive version also includes specific Voice capabilities, but I am not familiar with those features.

A co-worker uses PCAP, but says Omnipeek misses fewer frames.

Also take a look at the products from Berkeley Varitronics.

• Thanks Wlanman. Yeap, I figured I was aiming really high and a combo of tools may be more appropriate or even necessary. The combination of AirPcap and Riverbed's Cascade Pilot might make a good pairing as well.

Page 1 of 1