Forum

• By nbradway - edited: June 12, 2013

Hi -

I work in the conference/event space and do passive site surveys for RF planning/deployment as part of my workflow.  Currently, I do a tandem infrastructure site survey which adds an extra layer to my RF survey.  To circumvent some of the extra onsite work, I'm creating a questionnaire to gather logistic and infrastructure characteristics prior to arriving onsite.
    I'm addressing:- Points of contact (IT and A/V teams)- Shipping/receiving hours- Current Wifi coverage/dead zones and current deployment- Wall jack cabling- Cellular coverage- Primary/secondary ISP characteristics & failover- Room capacities- MDF/IDF locations- Pricing for in-house WiFi vs infrastructure rental
    Am I missing anything?

• How about ceiling height?  Weight loading on floor surfaces?

Work or worker restrictions due to Union contract restrictions?   

• @Howard -  Definitely a good point about the labor restrictions; I've added a question broadly addressing that piece.  Thanks!  As for the room dimensions, I think that's a solid topic and will definitely consider it.
    Any other suggestions?

• By (Deleted User)

nbradway - Does the building material make a difference? Ex. Steel Vs. Aluminum

• @Jules - yes it does; usually I have a physical copy of the floor plan when I'm onsite and mark down brick walls, load bearing beams, etc... with different colored highlighters (red=brick, green=metal, and so forth).  For the questionnaire I'm drafting, I am debating on asking this info since I already have a ton of questions.  Should I ask about it, I was thinking a physical properties check box and having them "check all that apply" from a selection of building materials - brick, cement walls, metal posts, cement floors, airwalls, and the like.  Great suggestion :)

• By (Deleted User)

nbradway: Thanks!  I love the idea of the "Check all that apply!" 

I posted your question on Twitter and received this input from @ronald_esveld 

access to resricted areas, number of users and applications running over the wireless network

• The CWNP site used to have two fairly good site survey documents on it.
    If they ever re-enable the SEARCH FUNCTION, it might be easier to find . :-)

• By (Deleted User)

Agreed! We hear you loud and clear! We had some issues with the people who were rebuilding our site, so we've had to push it back a bit. :( However, there is an end in sight!

• By nbradway - edited: June 14, 2013

• This has been a great thread!  Here is the draft form I've created which has a lot of the preliminary questions about the site -  http://goo.gl/7RBQ7 
    • I changed around the company info from my employer to NikoNet and made a fictitious address.  
    • I would love to see the site survey docs howard was referring to :) Niko  

• Love to see those documents too. Any news?

Can those (example) documents also be included in the Study Guide CD/Download?

Page 1 of 2