Forum

• Two days ago I passed CWAP with a good margin after quite a few hours of studies. This is one of the most cruel IT-cert tests I've made since there are so many details to understand and remember but also map into a larger context. But I belive it is definately worth it because the learning value is so high. I thought I had "pretty" good understanding of 802.11 before I started studying for CWAP - now I am more humble ;-). The CWAP process have definately made me a better wireless engineer, of course troubleshooting-wise but also from a design perspective I belive.

Anyway, I used the SG(such a great book!), the WPs from CWNP wich are splendid as well even though they are a few years old, WPs from WFA(not that meaty), read lots of articles/blogs, especially from http://revolutionwifi.blogspot.com (the QoS and media contention ones are nice) and played around a lot with Wireshark, AM WiFi Analyzer and Wi-Spy. I found the practice tests on the CD being valuable to identify my weak areas that needed more focus. 
    Next up will be CWSP - looking forward to that one, but since summer (finally) is here in Sweden I gotta enjoy the that as well ;-) 
    /Ferdrik 

• Congratulations.

It's a tough test.

• Congratulations.
    I have cleared my CWNA and after a long thought I have decided to go next for CWAP because of my current job role involves a lot more packet inspection and analysis.
    Can you please let me know how much time it took to complete your study?
    What are the other reading sources/materials you followed.
    Any suggestions and advice is really appreciated.

Best Regards
    Manas

• Congratulations. Great job!

• Congratulations !

One of the things I would do is locate every spectrum analysis picture that you can find, and study them carefully. You'll need the color views, not the B&W ones.

CWNP used to have color versions of the ones in the CWNP book available for download. If you can find these, get them.

Get your hands on a Wi-Fi spectrum analyzer, and get really proficient with setting it up and analysing the results. The Metageek dual band WiSPy is a very good choice. Look at every one of their exhibits, make screen prints, and learn to spot all of the devices you can.

Actually viewing them in real-time, as opposed to static pictures, is the best. Pay attention to the axis labels and compare these from different manufacturer's products. Frequency versus time domain views can give you very different clues as to what is going on.  

In addition to the CWAP book, Byron Putnam's "WLAN Analysis... " goes into a lot of detail on packet analysis. HOWEVER, the software and packet capture files that it talks about are unavailable - apparently the deals he had before the book was published totally dried up. If you really get into packet analysis, its an interesting read - otherwise it's too expesive at anything over about $10.

Really, the only way to learn packet analysis is by doing it. Personally, I would go with OmniPeek, but Wireshark and a refurbished PCAP adapter, will be your least expensive option. There are some of these on Ebay for $25 or so.

If ever ther was a time to follow the adage "study to the objectives", the CWAP is it !

Good Luck :-)

Page 1 of 1