Forum

• www.mojaveexperiment.com

I'm not a Vista fan...at all. I reverted to XP, and I'm buying an Apple. I've even given Ubuntu linux a turn at the wheel. So, last night, I'm watching TV and saw a commercial about this "Mojave Experiment". Of course it piqued my interest, so I checked it out. After spending 20 minutes at the site, I figured out that this is Microsoft's way of saying to you and I, "Vista doesn't suck...you suck for not knowing how to use it!" What a great way to market your product Microsoft. Just when I was warming up to those Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld commercials! Good grief, who's lamebrain idea was this Mojave Experiment?

While I'm on the topic, I'll point you to something cool. Dell's new Inspiron Mini9 laptop running Ubuntu MiniOS. $500 fully loaded (a little extra for XP/sp3, but not much). This thing is slick. If I weren't planning to buy a new Apple on Oct 14th, I'd buy one of these today. Maybe I need to see if Kevin will spring for the $500! :D HA! I crack myself up. There's no PC Card slot, but it has 3 USB ports, so if your survey utility supports an 802.11n USB2 adapter, you could use this puppy for surveying. It's 2.3 lbs. :)

Devinator

• Before I purchased my Alienware, I had to choose between XP and Vista. I did some research on Vista and some tweaks that are recommended.

Well, I went with Vista... and I love it. I can't go back to XP. Yes, there are some issues, but about 30 minutes worth of fixes and preference settings makes it really easy to live with.

It also helps to be able to change IP addresses by command line instead of 99 clicks. To everyone: Learn the netsh commands. They are great!

Did you know that the Vista client will show you if there is a hidden SSID? They call it an "unnamed network". When you click on it, it prompts you for the SSID, but sets all security configs as if you found the AP by SSID. That is nice.

Approach Vista with an open mind (an a lot of RAM) and you will enjoy it. I virtually promise. :)

GTHill

P.S. Apple? Come on man... on principle along I won't buy one. I can't give in to Ben Miller that easily. :)

• By (Deleted User)

The funniest part is those idiotic Mojave Experiment commercials, with normal everyday average people LOOKING at Vista and saying things like, "Wow, it looks great!" "I love the way it looks!"

Um, hullo? Eye candy is fun, but it doesn't work!

Vista might be ok when it becomes "Windows7", just like when XP was released, it was dubbed "Xpect Problems". Now, 4 years later at SP3, it's rock solid. So sometime in 2011, Vista will be sweet.

Until then, stick with XP or get a Mac.

• By (Deleted User)

Yeah, Ben Miller and Criss Hyde made their stand a long time ago, and hey, what can we say, they were justified in standing with Apple for alot of reasons. :) I just wish Ubuntu would continue to mature quickly so the world would have a really good 3rd choice.

Devinator

• cwnpadmin Escribi?3:

Yeah, Ben Miller and Criss Hyde made their stand a long time ago, and hey, what can we say, they were justified in standing with Apple for alot of reasons. :) I just wish Ubuntu would continue to mature quickly so the world would have a really good 3rd choice.

Devinator

I won't use a computer that doesn't have a "right" mouse button. I'm standing by Vista. I see Ben have way too many problems trying to run Wi-Fi software on his Mac. They are good for somethings, bad for others. :)

Gene

• Bah! Apple does have a right mouse button. If using the "mighty mouse" simply angle the mouse towards the right corner (a lot easier than it sounds). You can also buy a mouse that has an actual left/right button, or just hold "ctrl" when clicking with the touch pad.

Personally I'm going to stick with Apple myself. Not saying I will never own a Vista machine, but I have my Powerbook and just have not yet found a reason to buy another laptop/desktop. If its wireless security you want on your laptop, load BT3 on a USB flash drive and boot from that.

:D

Page 1 of 1