Forum

• Looking at [url=https://www.cwnp.com/cwnp_wifi_blog/so-long-insecurity]this blog post[/url] it would seem like WPA-TKIP was not supported by recently certified products.
    But looking at products released the past year, this does not seem to have been enforced.
    Does anyone know what happened? Was there too much pushback from the vendors?

• By Howard - edited: January 16, 2021

I would bet that many end-users pushed back first, then the Mfg's. There are just too many millions of devices out there to demand they be scrapped. Althought the WFA represents the top 400 or so Wi-Fi manufacturers, there are millions of customers.

The WFA was going to be publishing their "Security Roadmap" soon, but I think it's on hold for now. I would bet that this WPA-TKIP issue was one of the reasons it was held back.

I would bet that they are so busy fixing WPS, and working this into the current crop of certifications, to worry too much about other things. I would bet that their other members are none too happy about it.

My company is primarily concerend with backwards compatibility, so it will be a while before we scrap either WEP or WPA1.

Update:  Later, the WFA still allowed WEP configuration, as long as the "normal" configuration tools were NOT used to configure it.   So, for example, CLI commands might be used, but GUI controls could not.

• By (Deleted User)

Everything I've heard agrees with Wlanman. The WFA was initially trying to push the best security practices to the market, but business needs always squash tech purists. Companies just aren't willing to spend money to upgrade legacy client devices, and mfg's have to respond to customer needs.

Page 1 of 1