Forum

• Cisco have just launched new access points,

First off is the 3500 series access point available in a variety of flavours. Theres the 3500i wth integrated 4.0 dBi antennas on the 2.4 GHz radios and 3.0 dBi on the 5.0 GHz radio. There is also a 3500e for more challenging environments supporting external antennas. Each available as single or dual band.

The key feature though is the Cisco's CleanAir Technology which makes this the industry's first 802.11n access points to create a self-healing, self-optimizing wireless network.

There is also a new isco 1260 series access point which very much looks like a replacement for the 1250. A major advantage being that it can be powered with standard 802.3af PoE. This is designed for indoor challenging environments with external antennas.

Finally there is the announcement of Cico Unified Wireless Network Software Release 7.0, hooray, well for me anyway as I hope there are one or two resolved caveat so I can get a few upgrades done.

• Hmm, CleanAir sounds a lot like what other vendors already do, in that they make adjustments in their AP's to work around interference from other AP's. Pretty much what everyone else has been doing for years now. Or am I missing something important about this tech?

• Looks like the APs now have spectrum analysis capabilities as they can attempt to identify non-wifi interference. I guess they may have incorporated the cognio technology into the AP.

• By (Deleted User)

That's right, it's the Cognio technology in the AP ASIC. This is pretty slick stuff, and no one else can do it...yet. Anyone can make network decisions (channel and transmit power configurations) and provide info based on Wi-Fi traffic, but this marks the first AP with RF-level intelligence in the system. I have a full product review coming up on the CWNP blog later today or possibly tomorrow. :)

• By (Deleted User)

Looking forward to the review Marcus.

This comes just in time that we are making up our budget plans for next which is going to be rather huge with regard to expanding the Wireless Infrastructure.

• What can I say read the review is amazing, it takes the whole infrastructure offering to another level, got some good questions for my trip to Cisco.

• By (Deleted User)

You can also download the review in PDF form. The graphics are much better. :)

http://www.cwnp.com/pdf/Cisco_Premium.pdf

• By (Deleted User)

Update:

1. WCS - Status Quo

2. WLC - Status Quo 4400 versus 5500 series

3. LAPs - 1242 versus 3500 or 1260 series.

We are standardizing on what we've already invested in.

I guess I won't be seeing this generation of gear in 2010 anyway.

We are testing AssureWave 6.x.x with the clinical apps. Already planned and in the works.

• Marcus, not trying to rain on your parade here (btw very good analysis of this and why its a good thing) but I just did a deployment last week of some Motorola AP's that had spectrum analysis built into them. You are right that no one can run Cognio in their AP's (of course its owned by Cisco) but I see this as a trend started by Motorola and I also know that Aruba has been working on their version for quite some time since they brought Network Chemistry. Good on Cisco for raising the bar on it though and providing fully integrated spectrum analysis into their AP's.
    You also might want to know Aruba's response;
    Aruba Networks spectrum analyzer runs on all its 802.11n APs, Cisco requires REPLACEMENT of every AP for same coverage!
    (via twitter)

• By (Deleted User)

Umm... If we know Cisco, there will likely be a step-side upgrade of some sort. The flip and replace is just not feasible in today's market.

If a company has to consider a forklift upgrade, then Cisco could lose clients and if it lost enough client networks, this snowballs into that thing called market share.

I'd expect Cisco to have already considered this very carefully.

Page 1 of 3