Forum

• I believe you are right Wlanman. Channel 14 is a 802.11b DSSS only channel so no 40 MHz 802.11n

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#endnote_C
    [quote]Channel 14 is valid only for DSSS and CCK modes (Clause 18 a.k.a. 802.11b) in Japan. OFDM (i.e. 802.11g) may not be used. (IEEE 802.11-2007 ?19.4.2)[/quote]

• I would say cost is the biggest drawback. I work for a school district and have installed 8-10 of the 15 or so Xirrus arrays.

Sincerely

• @RC

To your point on cost being the biggest drawback think about this scenario...

A school district with over 100 schools required over 4000 APs and only took 1100 Arrays. The cost savings in cable drops and switch ports alone was enormous. On top of that is the integrated switch and controller keeping most of the traffic off the backbone. A true apples to apples deployment Xirrus will either be the same or cheaper. By apples to apples you also have to look at what type of radio is being deployed... 2X2 vs. 2X3 vs.3X3 spatial stream radios/antennas and Xirrus offers an option for any of these.

Just my observation...

• Etan15
    Point taken. The question I answered was simply my opinion of what I deemed the biggest drawback to Xirrus (in my circumstance.) I can't speak for others. I stand by that. There are indeed many scenarios in which the cost savings are huge, depending on existing infrastructure and such. It is a very tough budget year for education, and price is going to be THE issue for many things. That being in the "not so back of my mind" somewhat "guided" my answer. In retrospect, since this is a CWNP forum, I suppose I should have gone with a non-economic opinion. Here it is: I personally like the arrays/switches. I use XMS to monitor/manage multiple arrays everyday. However, consider the following: The 4 channel abg (older model) has a monitor channel (abg2). This "knocks out" 25% or 90 degrees of the 360 degree coverage. Also, each of the remaining 3 channels will broadcast in either the 5.0 or 2.4 range. Not simultaneously. The larger arrays are the same, except the monitor channel doesn't take away as large of a percentage of coverage. These 2 factors alone can be a little tough to overcome. It can get a little tricky to get the "stuff" you need where you need it. I have had to relocate arrays, as well as employ the use of external antennas in some cases. Once you throw in (Bring Your Own Device). The "old" infrastructure really begins to show it's age. Not unlike myself.

Page 2 of 2