Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Could anyone explain how Meru works with its single channel architecture within the 802.11 standard?

I have spoken to a Meru Systems Engineer who confirmed it works within the standard and does not use any proprietary mechanisms but would/could not explain exactly how this happens. Could anyone elaborate on the whole process?

And if it does not use proprietary mechanisms, why don't all vendors take this approach?

Also could anyone elaborate on how Merus Airtime fairness and  air traffic control works within the standard as well?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

• By Howard - edited: November 16, 2013

I couldn't seem to reply to your post there for a while.  Maybe my error, but now I'll try to answer your question.

First of all, you have to realize that not every nuance, or nook and cranny of every  possible WLAN operation is covered in the 802.11 standard. Yes, there are some exacting specifications, especially at the PHY level (e.g. EVM, and Spectrum Mask requirements). But there is legitimate room for variation.

There are lots of holes, or wiggle room within the specification, available for manufacturers to exploit. Exploit, is really too negative a sounding word in this case - instead think of it as improvise, or customize.  It is these holes that allow some manufacturers to differentiate their products from the competition.

For example, nowhere within the spec will you find the dictum that only channels 1, 6, and 11 can be used in the US. From experience, and our study, we know better though. Similarly, nowhere does it say you must use more than one channel - if nothing else, it is usually easier though. This was especially so during the early history of WLAN deployment.

It is "opportunities" like this that allow companies like Meru to devise new algorithms, that still fall within the limits of the 802.11 standard.

So when they say they are within the specification, they are right when it comes to issues like these.

I think their approach deserves a lot of credit.

Page 1 of 1