Forum

• Hi all

I am tasked with surveying and installing a WiFi network to support an RTLS system. I have been involved in wireless surveying for a few years but only as yet have been surveying for voice and data. Looking at the requirements for this particular RTLS system, it will need coverage in all areas by a minimum of 3 APs at all times at -75dBm or higher. The vendors RTLS devices only support 2.4GHz communication.

I wanted to put this to some design experts. In my experience of WLANs it is going to be seemingly impossible to design this systems without creating significant levels of CCI. We only have 3 channels to play with here but all areas of the facility require coverage from 3 APs. There is plenty of signal bleed between floors too add to the complexity of this task.

Does anyone have any experience in this field or can anyone share any advice?
    Is it possible to design this sort of RTLS system on 2.4GHz without causing high levels of CCI?

Many Thanks

Skid

• By DainBrammage - edited: December 11, 2013

So you go low power high density and get the correct antennae for the job, BTW -75 is not ideal for anything these days short of laptops even in a moderately populated locale. You also make no mention of the PHY being used or what else if anything will use the network and at what data rates

• By pingu - edited: December 28, 2013

The minimum is -75 but recommended is -72. CCI is not normally a factor as many of your access point will be set to monitor mode.

One thing to be careful of though is in the event that you did have to much CCI turning off the 2.4GHz radio may impact the RTLS accuraccy as well. It really is quite a difficult balancing act.

Page 1 of 1