Forum

• Here is the QOTD and the possible answers:

What type of wireless networking device can be used to extend the range of a wireless network without connecting to the network using data cables?

(Choose Two)

Mesh Access Point
    Repeater Access Point
    Wireless Workgroup Bridge
    Wireless Bridge
    Wireless Media Gateway

One of the challenges in answering questions like this is trying to decide what the person who wrote the question had in mind. In other words, what answer does the author of the question think is right?

I see three answers there that strike me as good answers:

1. Mesh Access Point
    2. Repeater Access Point
    3. Wireless Bridge

I ended up choosing 1 & 3 on the theory that a "Repeater Access Point" is somewhat a contradiction in terms. If you set up an AP as a repeater, then it's a repeater, not an AP. The logic is a bit shaky, I know, but I had to eliminate one of the answers and that's what I came up with.

As it turns out, the answer was 1 & 2; Mesh AP and Repeater AP.

I can see why "Repeater AP" was correct, but I am unclear as to why "Wireless Bridge" was wrong when clearly, that's EXACTLY what a wireless bridge does... Extend a network without wires.

Can someone help me understand the reasoning here?

• I agree with Eric. Additionaly, a wireless workgroup bridge also extends the network. This is a very poor question.

• I can understand the possible confusion. Careful reading however, reveals the phrase "extend the range of a wireless network" as opposed to "extending a network." There is a big difference between these two. Let me know if thinking this way helps.

Tom

• By Jim - edited: March 10, 2014

because a wireless bridge ends with a cable (usually cat x) that connects back into a wired network, both mesh and repeater extend the wireless access

• That would depend on your interpretation of "the network". A bridge does not connect to "the network" (that would create a  layer 2 loop). it actually connects to a different network via a data cable. A wireless workgroup bridge doesn't need to connect to a network at all. It could connect directly to a client station using a crossover cable. This is done all the time, they commonly call them wireless print adapters or wireless gaming adapters, but they are really just workgroup bridges with mdix enabled on the ethernet port.

The question would have been better worded stating that the device isn't allowed to connect to any cables at all.

• I can understand the possible confusion. Careful reading however, reveals the phrase "extend the range of a wireless network" as opposed to "extending a network." There is a big difference between these two. Let me know if thinking this way helps.

I think I understand what you are trying to say, but respectfully; that is a distinction without a difference.

Please understand...

I didn't ask the original question in order to belabor a single point. I am genuinely trying to gain some insight into the thought process of the person or persons who write these questions.

I look at the two "correct" answers and I honestly cannot see what distinguishes THEM from a wireless bridge in a way that causes the answers to make sense.

Additionally, if the distinction is "extend the range of a wireless network" as opposed to "extending a network" then the only meaningful distinction I can see is whether or not you use hardware to do it. Of course, that would make ALL the answers incorrect, since the only way to extend the range of the network without adding hardware (even an antenna)  is to turn up the power on all the AP's that are on the physical border. Of course, that would cause it's own problems, but that's a different discussion.

If we can confirm that this is just a poorly constructed question/answer set, then I can cease to worry about it immediately.

If however, there is a subtle distinction that I am missing, I really need to know for one very simple and practical reason.

I MUST assume that these questions either come from the test pool, or are at least written by the same people. Which means that understanding the distinctions that the writers are trying to make with the questions is just as important as knowing the material.

Eric

• a wireless bridge by definition,

[A wireless bridge is a hardware component used to connect two or more network segments (LANs or parts of a LAN) which are physically and logically (by protocol) separated]

99.999% of the time,

- it takes it signal from a cable, xfers it to a wireless signal and sends it over this "wireless bridge" where it is placed back on a cable.

... and  this is why "wireless bridge" is an incorrect answer to the original question

very similar to a workgroup bridge, but different in PtP instead of PtMP

• Jim -

Let me preface this by saying that I am not trying to be a wiseguy. I simply don't know who is who around here, in terms of users and admins.

So, with that in mind, are you the one who wrote that question? I ask only because I'm kind of looking for "Voice of God" on this one, so if it was you who wrote it than I can mark this off as "dealt with" and move on with a clear understanding of the reasoning used to construct the question.

Having said that, I also don't find your reasoning satisfying. Here's why...

Ultimately, every 802.11 network eventually connects to an 802.3 network. The distinction you are making seems to be that the first two answers involve at least one degree of separation between the wireless link and the cabled link. Like this...

Right Answer (Mesh WAPs): Device -- 802.11 Link --- Device -- 802.11 Link -- Device --- 802.3 Link -- Device

Wrong Answer (Wireless Bridge): Device -- 802.11 Link --- Device -- 802.3 Link -- Device --- 802.3 Link -- Device

The problem I have with that reasoning is that you can install an entire network of WAPs that can be Meshed, but use UTP to connect them back to the controller. Then, to satisfy the question, you can add a ring of the same WAPs around the existing WLAN and connect them in Mesh mode instead of using cables.

But then, that would give you this layout:

Right Answer (Mesh WAPs): Device -- 802.11 Link --- Device -- 802.11 Link -- Device --- 802.3 Link -- Device

Wrong Answer (Wireless Bridge): Device -- 802.11 Link --- Device -- 802.11 Link -- Device --- 802.3 Link -- Device

Which begs the question...

What's the difference?

• The key factor in the original question is that it asked how to extend the range of a wireless network. The term range is related to RF propagation. The qualifier without using data cables and the use of the term range excludes all devices except a mesh AP or a repeater.

It is important to understand that this is a real distinction that exists between pool A and pool B:

Pool A:

Mesh Access Point

Repeater Access Point

Pool B:

Wireless Bridge

Wireless Workgroup Bridge

Wireless Media Gateway

A device, configured as a pool B device, will not extend the range of a wireless network without using data cables. A device configure as a pool A device will.

Now, I suppose one could get picky and say that a wireless bridge could be used with connections to 4G networks on either end or something like that, but this would not be a typical scenario and it would not be extending the range of a wireless network. So, in the end, the question stands as it is quite well.

Tom

• "Extend the range" that nails it for me. I've been preparing for the CWNA for a while now and have come to learn something important. Understand the question first! The tests are filled with dodgy questions. 

Page 1 of 2