Forum

• As i known, if i was demanded to design a wireless network with a roaming requirement, i need to enable legacy data rate for meeting the client's behaviors. but if it is a wireless network with a high density requirement, i need to disable legacy data rate. so how to design a wireless network for meeting these two requirement at same time? 

thanks

qq

• qq,

What does legacy data rates to do with roaming ?

• With high density AP deployments, Clients see more number of APs. Signal travels farther @ lower rates. Hence disabling lower rates would help clients see less number of APs which would aid roaming.

For better roaming, make sure there is proper signal coverage.  

• By qq - edited: August 10, 2014

HiRavi,

thanks for your reply first.

as everyone knows, roaming is decided by the clients, so if i design a high density planning for some office cases, one of the common ways is to disable the legacy data rates in BSSs for reducing the BSS size. but at this time, another problem will appear, when a client far away the AP that it associated originally, the RSSI of the client will be growing less, we assume that the client's RSSI roaming threshold is 80 dBm, but according to the designed planning, the client may would not communicate with the AP under this RSSI value and disconnected with original AP suddenly. 

thanks

• By the time a client gets down to -80  (and remember it's RSSI not dB) it should have already found other AP's that it could roam to.   Deciding to roam is not an all-at-once phenomenon.   It occurs in stages, often starting with the client noticing that it is beginning to lose signal.

If a decent site survey was completed and this is an actual problem, then the client's roaming algorithms (settings) are the problem, not the WLAN design.

Page 1 of 1