• CWNA Office Study Guide Ch. 15 question 17 reads:

    What type of hardware may be necessary when installing APs to be used for outdoor wireless coverage? (Choose all that apply)

    A. NEMA enclosure

    B. Parabolic dish antennas

    C. Patch antennas

    D. Outdoor ruggedized core switch

    I chose AC. The book says ADC. "Outdoor equipment must ultimately be protected from the weather elements by using either hardened APs or enclosure units rated by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA). NEMA weatherproof enclosures are available with a wide range of options, including heating, cooling, and PoE interfaces. Parabolic dishes and patch antennas are usually used with APs for outdoor bridge links.

    Is this an error - did the author mean to write "ABC" instead of "ADC"?

    In either case, I don't think B nor D should be correct. The question is asking about outdoor wireless coverage, which seems to imply general outdoor wireless access, and not bridging. Assuming this is the case, then parabolic dish antennas would not be suitable. D is not the answer because you wouldn't use a core switch at the access level.

  • I agree with you.  Outdoor links: usual antenna for me is Omni or sector set.  Patch I almost never used at the AP side, and then was only PtP bridge.  Panel, grid, and dish are typical client-side; depending on range needed.

    I have never heard of a core switch being ruggedized, as core switches link core parts of the network within a datacentre. 

    The edge switch might be ruggedized, by placing it in a NEMA enclosure, but why not bring the network cable ends inside the building so you don't need to be outside and all the work for needed to set it up?

  • By (Deleted User)

    Nothing wrong with ADC. The books is quite right!

    Why would you need Parabolic Dish Antenna, when we are bothered about Outdoor Coverage only? 

    Hope this helps!

  • By CequalsFlambda - edited: August 24, 2014

    Definition - What does Core Switch mean? A core switch is a high capacity switch generally positioned within the backbone or physical core of a network. Core switches serve as the gateway to a wide area network (WAN) or the Internet - they provide the final aggregation point for the network and allow multiple aggregation modules to work together.
    A core switch is also known as a tandem switch or a backbone switch.

    I don't see a need to put a core switch outside.  What are you going to plug into it?  Just the Ethernet cable from the AP, right?  Then what?  You're still going to have to run an Ethernet cable from the switch to the inside of the building.  So why not put the switch into a wiring closet or server room where it belongs?.

    The dish would be useful in PtP but not to provide access to STAs.

    The enclosure is a good idea if you want to use an indoor AP outside.

    The AP will need some type of antenna and patch would be one of the choices.  I would rule out grid and dish but not any other type for providing coverage to STAs but let desired coverage area size and shape determine the antenna.

Page 1 of 1
  • 1