• I know I'm missing something obvious here...

I have read through the exam objectives at and I don't see where it actually says we need to know amendment numbers.

I ask because I'm making flash cards to help me remember which amendments cover which technologies.  It would be helpful to know which amendments are required.  Is this something that is tested on?  If so, shall I just go with the ratified amendments as listed on page 161 of the official study guide?  

As long as I'm asking...  Does anyone have good mnemonics for remembering amendment numbers (e.g. 802.11s is for messssh networking.)  

• Memorizing amendments and what they introduced is certainly helpful for compartmentalizing knowledge as you go through the learning process. Additionally, you may see amendments, such as 802.11h, 802.11e, 802.11w and 802.11i referenced and need to know the basic features/capabilities introduced by these amendments.

However, it is far more common to see items referencing the PHY amendments (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11a, 802.11ac) and the capabilities they introduced. These are the most important amendments to know about because they are seen so frequently in vendor literature and on product packaging. The CWNA exam seeks to be real world so you are not directly tested on amendments that were never ratified or that were removed for one reason or another.

I hope this helps,

• Tom,

Thank you for the reply.

I was confused because I couldn't find a direct reference in the exam objectives, but I thought I saw questions on the practice tests.  I could be mistaken, I might be remembering an end of chapter quiz.

I have a hard time remembering words, so memorizing the mapping between an ammendment/clause number and the technology.  The I work with regularly, 802.11u, 802.1D, 802.11h, etc. I know.  A few others are easy e.g. j is Japan and r is roaming.  Memorizing the entire alphabet is painful for me.  I ended up trying to memorize all the ratified ones.  My test is in a few hours.  We'll see how well I have done.

P.S.  Expect to see an email from me in a few days about sniffing ac.  I'm the guy who pointed out the Alfa card.  Gotta nail the CWNA test first.  I want >90% :-)

Page 1 of 1