Forum

• By Radium - edited: February 13, 2015

Hello Guys

Indoor Access Point coverage vs Outdoor Access Point coverage (see attached file)

They are wanting internal coverage...

Would you guys recommend APs inside like every 2nd unit or external AP solution mounted outside, I see pros and cons for both...

Thanks, Carl

• Well, I'd recommend a site survey as an initial step.

• As ctrlbreak mentioned, I would recommend a physical site survey. There is a lot of information missing in your question.

-What is the physical environment? (Concrete building, trees, etc.)

-What is the coverage needed? Indoor only, outdoor, everywhere?

-Which device will be connecting to it? Laptop, iPad, Chinapad, etc.

-What is the budget involved?

-Which manufacturer will be chosen? Cisco, Aruba, Linksys, Engenious, etc.

That's the begining of what you have to ask the client. But for my experience, to cover the outside and inside of this kind of campus, it will require a lot of APs...

• Thanks Guys, I am conducting a Site Survey tomorrow and will have the opportunity to collect all the relevant information

From what I can gather they will want wireless everywhere inside - which will certainly mean lots of APs....

Will let you know

• Are you looking at just apartment-style buildings, or are there single-family type detached residences spread around the outside as well?

Have you considered an outdoor PtMP system to each residence, with a SOHO wireless router inside?

Do a site survey and proper design for the apartment-style buildings.

• If the purpose of the assessment is indoor coverage then I would lead with indoor placement. But will each apartment have a LAN connection or are you using MESH ?

Page 1 of 1