Forum

• I need to set my ex up with solid Wi-Fi.  She is very non-technical, so I'm looking for a "just works" solution for not a lot of money ($120 is good, $200 is OK, $1,300 is out of the question.)

I would like to keep her using the Comcast gateway so she won't confuse their techs if she has a problem, but the Wi-Fi from the gateway doesn't reach the entire house.  I'd like to drop a 3x3 AP in her office, but I don't know what is good in the consumer space.  I'm having a hard time finding any consumer APs, just routers and WDS bridges.  There is ethernet in the office, so WDS seems silly.

What consumer-grade router has the ability to be a simple AP/bridge?  In reading the reviews, it seems like that isn't a common feature anymore.  I don't want to use OpenWRT or dd-wrt since she needs to be able to contact a manufacturer if something stops working.

And reliability is extremely important.  She doesn't handle tech problems well.

TIA.

Dan

• I would talk to Comcast - I'm sure they have an approved list.   Maybe more importantly they probably have a NON-approved list, and they can tell what it is you are connecting to their boxes.   And no, they won't fine you.   It probably just won't work.  They don't want you sucking up all their bandwidth.

It is also possible to search the WFA certification data base for the features you are interested in.  You can even specify home versus enterprise gear.  Don't over specify the requirements though, as their search engine is not that sophisticated and your query may not show anything, even though there they may be dozens that meet your needs.

PS:   Be sure anything you get has the latest AC firmware !!!  See the WPS related posts on this website -  unless you intentionally want to hack into your ex's network that is  :-). 

• I'm looking for an AP, not a modem.  Comcast shouldn't have a problem with what devices are on her network.  I know that I have had a lot of different APs (Aerohive, Ruckus, Airtight, Buffalo, cisco, and Linksys, to name a few) on the network without a problem.  It only matters if you are connecting something that talks to the CMTS.  I want to keep using their gateway specifically so they won't see anything odd on the network.  Level one tech support gets confused easily.

I'm surprised that a lot of residential routers don't have the ability to operate as APs.  You used to pay extra if you didn't want an embedded router, but you could turn it off.  Now it seems like they don't offer the ability to turn the router off.  When you add the non-standard marketing-speak they use to describe the devices, it gets really hard to tell what they do and don't do.  I see that the the ASUS RT-AC66U "Support Ethernet and 802.3"  whereas the ASUS RT-AC56U only supports "10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT" something inside me dies. 

I think I'm going to try an Netgear R6250.

• By MikeG - edited: November 25, 2014

ComputerX-

I don't know about the R6250, but my older Netgear something-or-the-other has a "be an access point" check box buried deep in one of the configuration menus.

I've generally had pretty good luck with Netgear's SOHO gear.

-MikeG

Edit: I checked the R6250 manual - it does have an :"Enable AP Mode" check box.  See page 92 in the user manual.

• It seems that ASUS and Netgear both have that option.  TP-Link doesn't.

• I understand, but the reason I brought it up was because back in 2007 I had bought a fast AP at a fantastic (sale) price.

When I went to hook it up to my ISP, it wouldn't work, although it would at my office.

I called the ISP and they said their system had identified it, but that it supported too high a throughput.  So it was automatically disconnected.  

So it can happen !   I guess you've been luckier.

• Simply disable DHCP in the "router" and connect it to your modem via a LAN port rather than a WAN port. Your SOHO router is now an AP.

• Tried that.  It wasn't the problem.

• Ubiquiti makes some really solid stuff. The Rocket AC by them is really cheap and would work. I have the older non AC version at work (use it for a lot of testing) and I really like it. The antennas are external as well. I bought one of ubiquiti's huge omni antennas (and by huge I mean they are huuuge!) and it has great range. You could just throw on some rubber ducky antennas though as I believe the AP has the smaller sma connections. 

• First you must have a really good relationship with your EX, LOL.

I need to mention, based on the comments and replies made if you're looking for a solid ap you could really go EBAY with a cheap enterprise Cisco 1131abg or even a 1142abgn access point in autonomous mode.  Frankly it sounds like she needs just internet access and will be throttled by the internet away. So while AC is sexy and seeing that 1.3 GBPS on the client is cool, assuming the client support 3x3:3 and no intense in house streaming is needed you will be fine with either. But going the enterprise route you get reliability. 

Just another prospective. 

Page 1 of 1