Forum

Passed CWNA-106!

10 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: July 3, 2018:
  • Took me about six months of reading and studying as I chose the path of complete self-study out of the current book. I would have loved to have attended a live class but just couldn't justify the cost so I took the slow route!

My study method was as follows:

• Read the Sybex CWNA-106 book, some chapters I literally read 5+ times.
    • Read as many relevant whitepapers as I could find.
    • Read Wi-Fi blogs, followed Wi-Fi experts on Twitter, listened to Wi-Fi Podcasts
    • Took the exam objectives and compiled them into 53 pages of notes for my final study.

The exam isn't easy, but if you really know the objectives and have an understand of the material you should have no problem passing. For me I'm looking into the ITIL foundations next, then will be starting the CWDP which I already purchased the book for.

• Congratulations !

I am very impressed with your exam objectives endeavor.

In your opinion, what percentage of the objectives were covered in the book ?    Any glaring omissions ?

• I really wanted to pass, figured I needed to put the work in to do it. I spent about a week of nights after work typing out the objectives and then finding the answers in the book but I feel like the process of doing that absolutely helped me come test time.

I definitely found some objectives that weren't in the book, for those I consulted google. I would say about 90-95% of the objectives are actually in the book. Out of the other 5-10%, most can be found doing research elsewhere but there were one or two objectives that I couldn't find anywhere.

I forgot to mention, I skimmed through the Wireless AC survival guide as well. I plan on giving it a full read now.

• Regarding the /ac Survival Guide:   Have you read his first book?

Both of Gasts books, on /n and /ac refer back to it.   It is a very worthwhile, and much more complete, book.

• Is that book just called 802.11 wireless networks? I thought about getting it but saw it was early 2000's.. Didn't know how relevant it would still be.

• The full title is 802.11 Wireless Networks:   The Definitive Guide, Second Edition.

As you know much of the standard is backwards compatible, and this book covers most of the details behind it all.   This includes DSSS, OFDM, preambles, and frame formats,various modulations,coding and the more esoteric subjects such as "puncturing" - about which you will find in VERY few places.   

As an example, I'm sure you've read in many places that  6, 12, and 24 Mbps are the minimum required rates in OFDM.   Why is this ?  Why not 9 and 18 ?   Why is 24 the highest required rate?   The answer to this last question is because 24 is the highest un-punctured rate. 

It also forms the basis for Matthew's other two books, and if you want to be able to reference the background in these newest books, this one REALLY helps.

In my work, this is all important information, and helps me diagnose and understand all sorts of radio issues, from compatibility to range problems.

I consider the information in this book to be essential.    It is too much effort trying to memorize all 2,800, or so,  pages of the standard, when this book condenses it down to a much easier to handle, and readable, text.

If you are truly serious about Wi-Fi, you will never regret getting this book.

• Gast needs to give you a commission on sales because you just sold me! I certainly plan on going deeper in wireless and what you've described makes this book sound compelling.

I just didn't want to buy a book that went in depth on stuff no one uses anymore or was never used. Sounds like that isn't the case here.

Do you have the eBook or a physical copy?

• Howard, I found a copy of the second edition of 802.11 Wireless Networks on Amazon and picked it up, in the mean time I've been reading the free preview e-book (first 4 chapters or so) until it arrives. I really appreciate you pointing this book out it's been excellent so far.

• You are very welcome.

Here's hoping that he will write other books, to this level of detail, in the future.

I heard Matthew give a talk on the "Simultaneous Authentication of Equals" (SAE) security protocol at the CWNP Conference almost two years ago.  He is a very interesting speaker too.

Page 1 of 1