Forum

802.11b protection

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: May 5, 2016:
  • By risshuu - edited: May 3, 2016

I have read/heard about protection in everything from 802.11g and onward.  Was there any kind of protection implemented when 802.11b first came out so that there would be no problems when having a mixed environment with 802.11 DSSS devices?

• By Howard - edited: May 4, 2016

The difference between 802.11 (aka Prime) and 802.11b was not enough to require special protection.  The headers were of  compatible formats - they just signified different parameters.

• By risshuu - edited: May 4, 2016

So did the 802.11b devices just transmit their physical headers at 2 Mbps so the 802.11 prime devices could understand?  The 802.11b STAs would want to send at 5.5 and 11 Mbps if possible... I guess my question is more about the different speeds supported by the two technologies and how carrier sense works.

Or since it's the same technique (DSSS), it doesn't matter because the 802.11 prime devices would be able to hear the faster transmissions  during their CCA?

• By Howard - edited: May 5, 2016

The easiest way to answer your question is to point you at the following book: 802.11 Wireless Networks:  The Definitive Guide by Matthew Gast.

It's really a book everyone in Wi-Fi should have.   It covers all the basics.   If you are really serious about your education, get a copy and read it through twice.

• Thanks for the reference.  I'll start on this in the next few weeks when I get done with my second read of the study guide.

Page 1 of 1