Forum

• Do you have any experience with the DFS test access points?
    I'm looking for a tool to simulate a DFS event, and analyze the access point and clients' behavior.
    Does anyone have experience or some tips on tools for this ?, Anyone eg tested HackRF?

• By Howard - edited: December 29, 2016

I have not had to test this recently, but I can tell you that to test to the (DFS detect) specifications is very difficult and involves some VERY  expensive equipment.

A microwave signal generator placed close enough to a DFS INtolerant AP may be able to trick one into changing channels but I have not tried that.   If you can look at the AP's log's you should be able to see if that is happening.

Then it would be relatively easy to build a simple attenuator that you could use to find the lowest signal output that would trigger an event, and then test your own device against that level.

The real problem would be getting the pulse widths to match the DFS test length requirements.

You hopefully won't need all the detail in the official DFS test document to get your test to work, but the title of it on the FCC website is:  

COMPLIANCE MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES FOR UNLICENSED-NATIONAL INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE DEVICES OPERATING IN THE 5250-5350 MHz AND 5470-5725 MHz BANDS INCORPORATING DYNAMIC FREQUENCY SELECTION

Sorry, I couldn't just post a link.

Page 1 of 1