Forum

• By Samrai - edited: May 25, 2017

Hey All,

This query may not fall in the Enterprise WiFi design bucket but Carrier WiFi.

I was wondering if anyone has come across a deployment where backhaul for a smallcell LTE traffic is being catered by Mesh WiFi as opposed to conventional UBR ( microwave link).

I have a working POC setup running, the LTE smallcell is on the non-root end of an 800 meter mesh bridge,the client is able to latch on to the LTE and VoWifi call experience is solid.

However, as we know for clock sync in LTE handoff, it needs to be as precise as nano/micro seconds, hence NTP will not do the job, which brings  Precision Time Protocol (PTP) into the equation.

Question:

In regards with such  deployment, would a support for PTP such as 1588V2 or Sync-e be required on the Mesh AP side, or would these protocols may fail to do their job of accurate time distribution over a WiFi link considering the delay attached.

I am sure this can be achieved by installing a GPS modules on these Mesh AP to maintain the time sync however an inexpensive way further is always preferred.

Page 1 of 1