Forum

• i have just purchased one of the above adapters & I have been informed it is a 4x4x4 spatial stream how can check if this is correct???

it apparently can connect at upto 1750 Mbps my connection settings so far have been upto 97Mbps, so I was wondering if there is some analysis software I could use to see if this adapter is actually 4x4x4.

thanks

• According to the official Realtek website, all 3 versions of the chipset (8814) support a maximum of 3 spatial streams with a  4x4 antenna/radio network.

So maybe 4x4x3, at best.

Where do you get the 97 from ?   Windows, iperf , etc ?

• oops couple of typos in there howard, must not use my phone when tired after midnight.

I did actually mean 4x4x3 and my fastest connection as been @975Mbps, this is not throughput just a connection.

I have not tested the throughput performance yet but as I only have a 20mb backbone to isp im not expecting anything of epic proportions.

• You have to be careful with Windows reported rates - they often only show the maximum rate possible by the adapter - which may have no relation to the actual connected, or transmitted, rate,

I suspect that is what you are getting    3 streams, 80 MHz wide, MCS 7, and 400 nS GI.    - ( BTW many chipsets are limited to MCS 7).

See the following chart:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/802-11ac-mcs-rates/ta-p/3155920

A good AP will usually show you the actual rate - run PING with no timeout and look in the AP's tables.    Cheap SOHO AP's may not give you the data. 

A good wireless sniffer would also show you the real rates.

You will probably find that a long GI works better in the long run. Your max rate will be 877, but overall throughput will likely be better.

The dongle is so small, don't expect high rates at any real range - it is too small to get good "uncorrelated" streams with its antennas so close together.

• I will fire up commview tomorrow if i get some free time and see

What it shows me, hopefully i can pick out the spatial sream element too

As this part is bugging me.

I can also setkp a 3702i-e-k9 if time permits i should be able to get some more accurate results.

• I will fire up commview tomorrow if i get some free time and see

What it shows me, hopefully i can pick out the spatial sream element too

As this part is bugging me.

I can also setkp a 3702i-e-k9 if time permits i should be able to get some more accurate results.

Page 1 of 1