Forum

• By AdamWess - edited: December 3

Though a twin band router will enable you extra choices for delivering wi-fi sign in your house or workplace, the 5GHz sign frequency has some caveats. Firstly, the 5GHz frequency will not let your wi-fi web sign journey so far as a 2.4GHz frequency sign will. Since most typical family home equipment do not function inside the 5GHz frequency vary, you'll run into much less interference which is sweet, however you will not have the ability to reap the benefits of that sign from too distant. The opposite draw back to this, is that not all wi-fi gadgets are able to accepting a 5GHz wi-fi sign, so not each system you personal can reap the benefits of the added frequency.

[Edited by Admin: Link deleted. Only keeping this post open since a couple members took the time to provide good information from this post.]

• Normally I'd ignore this as it appears to be somewhat of a spam post (i think).  But because you're posting this in a forum intended for individuals seeking an entry level certification, I want to makes rue bad information doesn't get spread.

Yes, 5ghz doesn't technically travel as far as 2.4ghz but it does penetrate obstacles better.  This is a significant consideration inside a typical residential structure.

Your statement about 'most family home equipment' is unabashedly false.  The vast majority of modern Wi-Fi enabled devices are all dual band capable, at least wireless-N if not AC.

• By Howard - edited: December 3

I wondered about it being spam too - it does appear that way somewhat.

Beg to differ on the penetration issue however.   It often depends on the specific materials interposed between the AP and the client - and that materials specific thickness.   

Overall 5 GHz will travel shorter distances, due to the effects expressed in the Friis transmission equation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friis_transmission_equation

Most dual band Wi-Fi antennas have more gain in the 5 GHz band, because they are specifically designed to overcome that bands relatively higher losses (compared to 2.4).   

So, in some cases you may find a longer range with 5 GHz, but overall 2.4 GHz has less path loss, and those signals will travel farther.

As an example, I recently completed extensive (clear LoS) outdoor range qualification tests in both 2.4 and 5 GHz.  In 2.4 GHz the range was > 100 meters.  For 5 GHz, the range was between 35 and 50 meters depending on device orientation. This despite the fact that the antenna had an overall advantage in gain for 5 GHz of about 1.3 dB.

It is sometimes the case that a device can authenticate at longer ranges than it can operate at.  These WPA2 tests required  full authentication, association, DHCP resolution, and correct mechanical function to be deemed successful.  

Interior doorways may present differences for 5 GHz because of its smaller Fresnel Zone clearances, but generally speaking the surrounding walls will cause more loss at the higher frequencies.   

I don't have the link for it here, but several years ago the UK government published a very thorough, and long, report on signal absorption by various building materials, in both bands.  Some of the results were surprising, and it had more data on brick material than one that would have been made in the U.S. too.

Page 1 of 1