Forum

• By (Deleted User)

I am planning on performing a site survey for a new location. This will be a large showroom with Wireless Printers from HP, Kodak, Brother ... you name it, among the client devices installed there.

I have not been able to find the RF Output Power for any of these printers. Can anyone give me a site or some other pointer to site(s) that might include this type of information?

Thank you. Your help is appreciated.

• By Howard - edited: May 20

Most of the b/g devices I have seen have from 13 dBm to 18 dBm output.

The /g rates will typically be from 1 to 2 dB lower than the /b rates.

You didn't ask, but client devices tend to use cheaper radios, and these do not always have the same power levels on each channel.   Sad but true...   A typical variation would be 1 dB, but I have seen as many as 3 dB less on some channels.

• By Howard - edited: May 21

Many high performance Wi-Fi devices, of which wireless printers are NOT, have switched to multi-stream radios. 

Printers are limited by physical constraints such as paper-advance speed and print deposition delays which slow them down.   Regardless of the wireless rate, the actual time between pages does not  decrease at higher rates.   The time required to transmit a whole page of text, or an image, is always less than the time it takes to print it by a very large factor.   So, from a purely printer point of view, high rates are not a requirement.

On handheld printers, battery life considerations are the MAJOR consideration.   So while you may find some printers now enabling 40 MHz wide, single stream, channels, you won't find any using multiple streams.

This is not to say that in some networking environments, higher rates and reduced air-time would not be of benefit.   Expect multi-stream radios to be start being sold when a new battery technology arrives that provides vastly increased battery life.

On the plus side from a printer manufacturers point of view, single stream radios are also cheaper to purchase, and if you are selling a hundred thousand printers a year, the savings can be significant.

Page 1 of 1