Forum

• By Howard - edited: October 12, 2021

While investigating 802.11bf, and the WBA paper on /bf that I referenced in my earlier post on it, I came across the new acronym, PBSS. 

That WBA paper defined the term ambiguously, and I went looking for a clearer explanation of what one is supposed to be.   Below is a short synopsis of what I found.   

Although it first appears to be just another IBSS, it is actually much more sophisticated and includes inter-device management abilities. The PBSS or Personal Basic Service Set was introduced in IEEE 802.11ad, wherein nodes communicate in an ad-hoc like manner.

However, one of the participating nodes takes the role of a PBSS Control Point. This PCP acts similar to an AP, announcing the network and organizing medium access.

The PBSS network was introduced to satisfy new applications targeted by IEEE 802.11ad, such as  wireless storage and peripherals or wireless displays.

There is usually no pre-installed infrastructure and communication will take place between sets of PBSS devices.

I'm sure we will be hearing more about this in the future.

Page 1 of 1