Forum

• By G-Man - edited: September 20, 2023

Hello All,

I have been tasked with creating a Wi-Fi design that has turned out to be quite challenging and would like some input if possible. 

The building is a large facility that is 20% typical office environment with the remainder consisting of various mail processing / handling equipment.  The larger space has 25' ceilings (WAPs @ 15').

The client has high expectations for this network, and has provided the following Ekahau parameters:

STATIC POWER LEVELS - ALL WAPs

2.4GHz @ 6.31 mW

5GHz @ 9 mw

COVERAGE REQUIREMENTS

2.4GHz Primary RSSI @ -65 dBm

2.4GHz Secondary RSSI @ -75dBm

2.4Ghz Tertiary RSSI not required

5GHz Primary RSSI @ -62 dBm

5GHz Secondary RSSI @ .67 dBm

5GHz Tertiary RSSI @ -72 dBm

CHANNEL INTERFERENCE

2.4GHz: (1) @ -86 dBm

5GHz:  (6) @ -86 dBm

THE ISSUE

Given the RSSI requirements, the design currently has (129) WAPs, with (98) in the area where they'll be mounted at 15' height.

I can get the Network Health score for RSSI (both bands) to a level that will be acceptable to the client; they want it "as close to 100% as possible".  

I cannot get an acceptable Network Health score for Channel Interference on the 2.4GHz band.  Even the Ekahau Channel Planner - configured to shut off unnecessary 2.4GHz radios - can't get a Network Health score higher than about 1.5% because of all the co-channel interference.

MY QUESTIONS

1. Is it even possible to pull this off - understanding I am not permitted to change the transmit power of any WAPs?
    2. Can Ekahau's Channel Planner be trusted to do what I'm asking it to do with this channel plan?

Bonus info:  I tried to have the Ekahau AI Auto Planner design the network.  It took forever and came up with over 300 WAPs required and had all sorts of failing Network Health Scores.  

I really appreciate any and all insight.  

BG

Page 1 of 1