Forum

• Hello, I've installed numerous Cisco 2702E access points recently.  They have 4 external antennas.  Does the antenna gain operate at a default rate right out of the box?  I'm wondering because I display the access point configuration and I notice the external antenna gain is set to zero, which I've pasted below.  Do I have to manually enter a value for the external antenna gain?  I have gotten a complaint that they used to have good WiFi coverage before I replaced the old AP with a 2702e.  I'm now wondering if my antennas are not putting out enough (or any) power.

Phy OFDM parameters

Configuration ............................. AUTOMATIC
    Current Channel ........................... 1
    Channel Assigned By ....................... DCA
    Extension Channel ......................... NONE
    Channel Width.............................. 20 Mhz
    Allowed Channel List....................... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
    TI Threshold .............................. -50
    Legacy Tx Beamforming Configuration ....... CUSTOMIZED
    Legacy Tx Beamforming ..................... ENABLED
    Antenna Type............................... EXTERNAL_ANTENNA
    External Antenna Gain (in .5 dBi units).... 0
    Diversity.................................. DIVERSITY_ENABLED
    802.11n Antennas
    A....................................... ENABLED
    B....................................... ENABLED

C....................................... ENABLED
    D....................................... ENABLED

• Well, I don't see what TX power level the AP is operating at.  I'd find that out first.  

Also, yes, you should provide the controller with the rated gains for the elements you are connecting so its TPC algorithms can adjust accordingly.

Another tip; unless you have some special reason to consider them, it's generally best practice to remove all but channels 1,6,11 from the allowed channel list.

Cheers!

• Thanks for the reply.  The TX level is currently 1.  There are not many APs in this particular area, so I'm not surprised the TX level is at 1.  Can you advise on how I provide the controller with the rated gains for the elements?  

• Sure thing.  I'm going to assume you are running something in the 7.6 range of code.  In which case, go grab the WLC Configuration Guide for 7.6 and check page 874.

"

Step 1 Choose Wireless > Access Points > Radios > 802.11a/n/ac or 802.11b/g/n to open the 802.11a/n/ac (or 802.11b/g/n)
    Radios page.
    This page shows all the 802.11a/n/ac or 802.11b/g/n access point radios that are joined to the Cisco WLC and their
    current settings. The Channel text box shows both the primary and extension channels and uses an asterisk to indicate
    if they are globally assigned.
    Step 2 Hover your cursor over the blue drop-down arrow for the access point for which you want to modify the radio configuration
    and choose Configure. The 802.11a/n/ac (or 802.11b/g/n) Cisco APs > Configure page appears.
    Step 3 Specify the RF Channel Assignment from the following options:
    • Global—Choose this to specify a global value.
    • Custom—Choose this and then select a value from the adjacent drop-down list to specify a custom value.
    Step 4 Configure the antenna parameters for this radio as follows:
    1 From the Antenna Type drop-down list, choose Internal or External to specify the type of antennas used with the
    access point radio.
    2 Select and unselect the check boxes in the Antenna text box to enable and disable the use of specific antennas for
    this access point, where A, B, and C are specific antenna  ....

"

... etc.

HTH.  Cheers!

Page 1 of 1