Forum

Hidden SSIDs?

1 posts by 1 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: December 1, 2005:
  • By (Deleted User)

I am guilty of hiding my SSID. I also place my AP on channel 8 in a sea of 1,6,11.

I know and repent, it is not the best way to "secure" your network, ...

Yes, someone could still analyze the probe responses and extract the SSIDs with their packet analyzer, but in a small SOHO environment like mine, it has a place.

I don't know how many hidden SSIDs are out there in my neighborhood wreaking havoc on enterprise WLANs.

I haven't driven around to detect them all. No wardriving fever or desire to hijack anyone's wifi on my part. I think others have instituted this cloaking of SSID just because they can and wardrivers simply move on, if they can't detect it unless they analyze the probe responses.

It ( non-broadcast of the SSID) is a feature that vendors have allowed , like MAC filtering that have a place, but are easily bypassed by CWNPs like yourselves.

Point of Discussion:

Should the IEEE fine the vendors that allow this to option or will they create a way that hidden SSIDs become detectable with freeware software that is supported under Windows, since it is readily used?

In conclusion, the others are right, we are making it harder on ourselves in the long run. Everytime I read this debate on the forums, I am convicted.

I quote the oracle of underground WLANs:

"He that is without SSID, let him broadcast the first beacon.

Page 1 of 1