Forum

University WLAN

20 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: January 10, 2005:
  • By (Deleted User)

Also as we have only presently 3 AP's in the library ? so when we are upgrading the network? will it be a wise decesion to make a new network from scracth or we can keep this AP's intact and install the new AP's considering the fact that there will be only 3 AP's in the library i.e AP each on every floor.

As 1 AP can serve about 20 students so i think we more need more then one AP on each floor. But can roaming be provided on differnt floors of the building? i.e between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd ??
    please answer

• By (Deleted User)

First, here's the Planet3 website for all their learning materials:

http://www.cwnp.com/products/index.html

Concerning your question about "802.x" vs "IPSec with VPN"...

802.1x with EAP-compliant authentication and encryption allows you to create a very secure, very manageable wireless network that has less complexity and a lower cost than a wireless network using IPSec and VPNs. You can read all about this in the CWSP Study Guide.

It is possible that you can keep the APs you currently have and use them in the new rollout. This would depend on what you want to accomplish that is different from the old WLAN rollout. It would also depend on whether the new network could support the older APs from a management perspective. They will work in the new environment (as long as you're using the same frequency, 2.4GHz or 5GHz, and they are WiFi compliant) but you might not want the hassle of managing several different brands of APs.

I can guarantee you that one AP per floor won't cut it, unless each floor is the size of a conference room (which it may very well be). The only way you'll know how many APs should be implemented is by doing a site survey. This is discussed in detail in the CWNA Study Guide.

Roaming occurs automatically between APs in the same IP subnet. You'll want to make sure the APs are on different channels and have about a 15% overlap in RF coverage so the roams occur properly. This too is information discussed in detail in the CWNA Study Guide.

Joel

• By (Deleted User)

I know this is going to sound so stupid.

But will i have to buy the CWNP guide? Can i not get any free complimentary material as i am student and i cant afford such expensive books.

Thanks

• By (Deleted User)

What would be the best way to authenticate students? if they come in with thier own wi-fi compliant devices such as Tablet PC's, laptops, PDA's etc. provided that they will be using their own cards as university wants to be hasstle free from loaning the cards to students (mac filtering)

Thanks

• By (Deleted User)

You'd have to discuss education discounts with Planet3 Wireless. Contact Kevin Sandlin at P3W for information.

Joel

• By (Deleted User)

Authentication will depend on numerous factors such as:
    - Is there a PKI currently in place?
    - Do you already have an authentication control server and, if so, does it support EAP standards (and which ones)?
    - Will you be able to force end users to use specific wireless cards and client software?
    - What throughput will be needed for end users?
    - How much is in your budget to accomplish this upgrade?
    - Have you implemented a wireless security policy that integrates with your existing (hopefully) network security policy?
    - Do you have executive sponsorship for this project?

Ok, these are just a few of the important questions you need to get answered. There are many more as well and they are covered in the CWSP book. In addition, in the CWSP Study Guide, in Appendix A, you'll find a template for a wireless security policy. This will go over in detail the many different areas that need to be considered before a single dollar (euro) is spent.

Hope that helps,
    Joel

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks

• By (Deleted User)

So could you please look it up for me and i am sorry i did not get the answer for weather romaing across the road can be provided as two buildings are across the opposite ends of the road in between?

Can AP's be on the same IP subnet even of they are placed across the raods? What about the network design?? how is it possible? could you please give me some technical details for this??

Cheers,

• By (Deleted User)

Not sure what you're referring to when you're asking us (the forum) to "look it up for you". Why don't you do some research on your own -- you might learn something; I know I always learn things when I'm researching the answer to a question.

Concerning your roaming question... you can accomplish just about anything you want regarding wireless networking, if you have enough money, equipment and time. It might be possible to do what you want but the cost may be so high it would make it unfeasible. One could provide continuous Layer 2 roaming just about anywhere, as long as there were enough access points covering the area. Do you really want to provide wireless access in the middle of a road? Probably not. Can you do it? Of course you can, given the right antennas.

Yes, APs can be in the same subnet in different buildings but you have to design your WLAN with that in mind. You could bridge the two buildings together and have all your APs on the same subnet. I wouldn't do this if there were a lot of APs though (more than 60 or so). Broadcasts on that network could potentially kill your throughput.

If you want to read about how to do basic WLAN design, check out the CWNA Study Guide.

Joel

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks a lot sir.

I would do some research on WLAN design.

Page 2 of 2