Forum

• I've been designing/installing/supporting 802.11 networks for about 6 years. I'm being asked to produce a design for a jail prior to construction. I've executed some difficult designs in my time, but always with the benefit of an on-site survey.

The walls are typically concrete or multiple layers of tamper-resistant gypsum board with security mesh; doors are almost all steel, with any door glass being identified as having 1/4" wire mesh.

Primary coverage requriement is for wall-to-wall 802.11b, with a desire to provide a/g coverage where possible. VoIP is definitely being deployed.

Is there anyone out there who has done a jail/prison before, who is willing to share with a fellow professional some insight into strategies and tactics for furnishing coveage, and/or identify special considerations specific to a corrections facility?

Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

• I recommend you go with secured enclosures for the WAPs! :)

Do you have access to the autocad drawings? At least floorplans? I could help you do a predictive modeling, if you haven't already attempted it. Thanks.

• By (Deleted User)

Basically, you'll need to treat each major area as a Faraday cage. The amount of rebar and metal reinforcement (in everything!) will prevent much RF from escaping and what does will create plenty of multipath issues. Highly recommend you employ low power with diversity antennas.

Outdoor areas won't be too bad but don't expect there to be coverage past the fences. Other things to deal with will be providing power to the APs (you'll have to work with the prison electricians on that, obviously) and getting access to locations where the APs will be installed.

Oh, and one more thing, if you drop the soap in the shower, just let it go man, let it go. ;)

Joel

Page 1 of 1