Forum

• What results should be included in an RF site survey report for an indoor 802.11a wireless LAN?

A. Digital photographs of access point locations
    B. An analysis of the client's existing wired network infrastructure
    C. A spectral analysis of any RF interference
    D. All notes taken when interviewing the network manager
    E. Protocol analyzer captures of any network security weaknesses noted during the site survey
    F. Analysis detailing how well the client's particular applications work over the wireless network

• A, C, D

• Would you give the client your notes?

• Yes, I would provide all data collected during the site survey, as an attachment, appendix, or separate set of documentation.
    -------------
    Additionally, if appropriate, I would include:

F. Analysis detailing how well the client's particular applications work over the wireless network.

I'm not sure if this is something one SHOULD include, or something one COULD include. I will add it to my final answer, and cross my fingers.

FINAL ANSWER: A, C, D, F

• By (Deleted User)

No way am I going to give the client all my personal notes (answer D) I took before or during the site survey. I might give them a summary analysis that includes the information I captured from my notes but I wouldn't consider that document "notes". I would include my overall analysis in a one-pager Executive Summary and any other pertinent information would be included in the report itself.

Also, the question asked "What results should be included in a RF Site Survey report..." You're not going to get detailed information on how applications will work just from doing a RF site survey. You might have a general understanding from past experience but nothing is going to prove how the client's applications are going to run in his new WLAN environment unless you either do a pilot test or run them across the installed WLAN.

I would say the answers to this question should be A and C only.

Joel

• Concerning A and C, Joel is right on the money.

However, Joel, considering that way back when, you helped me work on an application analysis form for the CWNA class......what say ye about answer option F?

Devin

• By (Deleted User)

I'd say that if the client wants option F, then it would be outside the scope of work for a RF Site Survey, certainly doable, but there would be an additional cost to get it done. I would most likely include it on the intial quote as "Application Analysis" for a small project, or "Pilot Program," if it were for a large WLAN deployment.

I'm involved in one of these now. The pilot program will last at least 3 or 4 months (it's a huge project). It's not something that was scoped as part of the site survey but something that was absolutely necessary for the success of the long-term project.

Joel

• joelb Escribi?3:

I might give them a summary analysis that includes the information I captured from my notes but I wouldn't consider that document "notes".

Maybe this is splitting hairs? Of course, I'm not for submitting the worn yellow paper that you scrawled shorthand on, but possibly a summary of your notes should be included because:

• The client who is hiring you is the owner of that information. (seems to me)
    • It is important to present the foundation of your analysis; detail the information that you are basing the entire survey on. (cover your a$$!)
    • It demonstrates that the survey report is very thourough.
    • The study guide says to include everything with the report. (p.539 :P)

As far as the analysis of the application (option F), I agree about the whole RF Site Survey aspect of the question, but I think that "Site Survey" and "RF Site Survey" terms are interchangable. Also, the study guide does say an application analysis may be included. (p.540)
    I can't say how one would do an application analysis, except for maybe research, or a scaled down test. I too would charge extra for this. Charge them up the wazoo!

• Very nice points Joel. It's little things like this that kept this question off of the exam. :-)

NC, The intellectual property of the report typically is still retained by the site suryving entity unless specified otherwise. This is also true of most consulting reports. Companies do this so that their customers won't be allowed to give the report or any information therein to the consultant's competitors.

I agree that a summary of the information found in the notes should be in the report. Another reason that this question didn't make it into the exam - "notes" and "summary info found in notes" could be called the same thing depending on a person's viewpoint of the wording.

Yes, "Site Survey" and "RF Site Survey Report" are used interchangeably, but one is actually the act of doing it, and the other is the report of findings.
    I think the application analysis should be included unless there's a compelling reason not to. One such compelling reason is what Joel stated - when the project is huge and the application analysis would be very time-consuming. In a case like that, for both clarity of material and for $$$ purposes, it would be better to make them separate.

An application analysis in many cases is a glorified name for a PILOT.

Devinator

• By (Deleted User)

Good info Devin.

Maybe it's time to start differentiating between enterprise WLAN and SOHO/SMB deployments? While many of the processes are the same, the scope and time requirements are drastically different and require different thought processes to accomplish. For example, while it might be OK to perform a site survey during normal working hours in a SOHO/SMB office, you'd likely get kicked out of the building if you started bringing in ladders and all your site survey equipment into a large enterprise or retail environment during that time.

Planning a deployment that's going to require thousands of APs is much more complex and involved than one that requires less than a hundred APs. Security for enterprise environments is much more complex as well because it almost always involves joint discussions and agreements between several groups within the organization, such as the network admin/management group, the security team, the PKI/CA group (usually separate from the sec group), and the wireless team. Throw in Voice into this mix and there's another team that has agree how the solution is going to be deployed. Also, with large deployments you'll have a executive sponsor and a CFO or budget person to deal with.

I think it might be good for us to define what environment a scenario pertains to when asking a question or describing an issue. Might help us get a better grasp on the situation or begin to better understand the differences between the two primary deployment types (SOHO/SMB and ENT). What do you think?

Joel

Page 1 of 2