Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Frabuck,

I personally haven't had the chance to use it. From what I have seen and read, the Xirrus WLAN array , the advantages of having one device opposed to several APs can be great selling point. In conference spaces and libraries , college campuses it may be of value.

They (Xirrus) have been around a couple of years so far. ADC, a very respected company resells the Xirrus solution as part of their next generation wireless network.

https://www6.adc.com/ecom/hier.html?NODE=OND82928

Et al,

Have not tested this but, since we are on the subject of the Xirrus Array...here goes... you can slap me, after you've read this :)

I see specific usages of the Xirrus Wireless arrays that can be exploited through a two-way splitter- combiner. You could direct multiple radios with the added capacity to certain areas of coverage indoors.

From what I've read;

The Xirrus allows for use of external antennas, depending on the size of array you purchase you can have mulitple external antennas and radio combos.

Design your cells so that the xtra capacity to the areas indoors can be combined. For example .three G radios set on channels 1, 6, 11 to one antenna off the external port of the Xirrus array. You should control the power output of the radios to avoid interference from other adjacent cells.

Use low loss 1/2 " coax. (like LMR 600) Keep the lengths short (under 50 feet) to make up for the splitter loss (typically 3.5 dB ) and cable losses.

Based on indoor aesthetics:

You could use a ceiling mountable, multiband antenna that propagates the radio signals to the area you desire to cover. You would need an antenna that gives you about 4 to 6 dbi of gain, keeping your launch power at an optimum level. Above 13 dBm is ideal.

Make sure your cable is hidden from view and is iinstalled by qualified cable contractors that can, install and test hardline 1/2 " coax.

Page 1 of 1