Forum

• We had a vendor install the Cisco 1300-series AP at one of our locations, we (Networking division) didn't choose this AP. Anyone have any experience with this model series? Good or bad?

It looks cheaply built. I think we would have opted for the 1500 series if we had the choice.

Thanks for any replies/comments

• By (Deleted User)

The BR1300 is considerably different than the AP1500. The BR1300 is a software defineable radio (SDR) that can be configured as a bridge, AP, workgroup bridge, or repeater. The AP1500 can be configured as a Mesh AP (MAP), Rooftop AP (RAP), or bridge, however it will only work with the controller-based solution (Airespace). The BR1300 can work either in standalone/autonomous mode or, when configured as an AP, in controlled mode.

Joel

• By (Deleted User)

There is a big cost difference between the 1500's and the 1300's (like 3 to 1).

I've got a couple of bridges (1/2 mile and 1 mile) set up with the 1300s. The only time I've touched them since installation was to force a channel change.

Using it as an AP though I don't have any comments on. Isn't it the only "rugged" outdoor AP that cisco offers (excluding the 1500).

Going with the 1500s I think takes a heavy commentment. Using 1 Mesh AP sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion...

• By (Deleted User)

The two solutions are quite different. The AP1500 is part of a controller-based Mesh solution while the BR1300 is an autonomous AP/Bridge (for the most part). There are other solutions you could use for outdoor deployments but these (and the BR1400) are the only ones that are already NEMA-rated. You could add an enclosure to any other AP to make it outdoor-rated. There are several vendors who offer enclosure systems. Two that come to mind are Terrawave/Tessco and Sparco Technologies.

Joel

• JoelB hit the nail on the head guys. 1500 & 1300 are very different products that are used to satisfy different requirements.

Check out the datasheets at www.cisco.com/go/wireless

Rich

• I use a lot of Cisco 1300 series... works great... very versatile... for outdoor applications, it is my AP of first choice..

Page 1 of 1