Forum

DECT 6.0

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: February 3, 2007:
  • Don't know if any other of you folks have noticed DECT 6.0 phones starting to hit the market. I'm surprised it actually took this long for them to hit the streets as it was promised well before last xmas from what I'd previously read.

Here's the significance to WiFi. 1.9GHz. We now have a COMPLETELY out-of-band phone solution for you all to recommend to your customers who are dealing with 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz interference.

I did a search and didn't see anybody post on this yet and if this is a dup, I apologize. It's hugh news to all of us, frankly. I had to go to Canada to get one previously. (I shouldn't have said that, huh?)

...now if we can just get rid of the darn Bluetooth devices from 2.4GHz.

• That is interesting news. I am curious though on the range of the 1.9 phones. I know we were using 900 mHz phones and got a couple 2.4 and found the range not to be as good as the 900 so we stayed with the 900. Either way it is good news for us wireless folks.

• By (Deleted User)

Your post is of great Wireless#-ness and thanks for bringing this to light.

It (DECT) is in the same frequency range of most PCS/GSM phones and there are lots of them out there in the market.

Typical cell boundaries for PCS/GSM ( 1800/1900/2100 MHz) phones indoors being amplified under a Distributed Antenna System in challenging environments is about an 80'-00" to 100'-00" radius depending on the antenna gain, usually that is 2dBi to 3 dBi with an omni-directional lobe pattern.

You could go further, perhaps 150'-00"-200'-00" radius with drywall and open office cubicles.

Hence, if deploying these phones in the ENTERPRISE, still conduct a MANUAL SITE SURVEY, using the 2.4 GHz AP: with at least a - 90 dBm RSSI to ensure good 1900 MHz coverage indoors. Or buy/rent yourself a spectrum analyzer that can measure the transmission range of the DECT phone at the specified 1900 MHz frequency.

Some of the future DECT 6.0 phones will take the advantage of Bluetooth as well , so there are more RF spectrum challenges to consider with devices that frequency hop.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2007/01/cordless_phones.html

For sure, spectrum management is much more resilient at the licensed frequencies that DECT phones operate in, than in current 2.4 GHz an 5.8 GHz devices. Anything that mitigates interference and increases end user uptime is worth the investigating.

• By (Deleted User)

The maximum allowed power for portable equipment as well as base stations is 250mW. On average, however, a portable device radiates about 10mW during a call as it is only using one of 24 timeslots to transmit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT

250mW from the base station and some of the phones... this 250mW should get you more mobility . But the average portable device uses only 10mW during a call, ...amazing... there are no hidden nodes? Good battery life too?

Page 1 of 1