Forum

• The amplitude of the signal will change with location due to the attenuation differences in obstacles such as walls, etc.

Polarity is the shape of the signal as it travels through the air. Polarity is determined by the design and/or the orientation of the transmitting antenna. Try this experiment: get to a place where you have about -79dBm of signal to your laptop. You will need a client utility that reports actual signal, not signal bars. Now, lay the screen of the laptop flat, completely folded out. Look at the signal now. In addition, hold the laptop in your hand and look at the signal. Then, tip the laptop 90 degrees so you have to look up to see the screen. Observe the signal strength.

Any signal that is out of polarity at all will have an effect. It may not be noticeable, but it will make a difference.

I don't remember the term upfade, but I did do some reading on it since you brought it up. It is possible to increase the signal with multipath signals, however it isn't desirable to have them out of phase.

An AP must have a setting for multiple SSIDs. Your home AP's won't have that setting. Multiple SSIDs aren't very useful unless you can VLAN anyway.

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Gene

Page 1 of 1