Forum

• Dear Kevin,

There is a wireless network in the flat where I live. I dont have money to buy wireless equipment.
    Please kindly explain how I can set up a simple CWNA lab ?

Thank you.

• Well, as you know it's impossible to simulate wireless equipment in GNS3 or other networking equipment simulators. If you can't afford to buy a few lightweight APs and a controller or whatever you can do what I did: go to a cisco academy nearby and ask them if it's possible to gain access to their wireless equipment - you pay for it, of course. I paid like $60 for a month and I had 3 routers, 5 switches, 3 lightweight APs, 2 controllers, 2 autonomous APs and a few stations. I couldn't install any packet sniffers or advanced software utilities, and as I don't own a laptop, I got some free apps on the Android market for my smartphone. I could test PoE, roaming etc. Now I know that in other countries it might be less expensive to buy your own equipment than to gain access to a lab, but you never know.

I hope this helps.

• As the CWNA is vendor neutral a setting up a hardware Lab will not really help.

The CNWA study guide does have some labs, all of which use free or demonstration software. And don't require any hardware. As any packet captures etc required have already been done and are on the CD.

• Yes, you're right, but having a bit of hands-on experience is always a plus.

Page 1 of 1