Forum

• Hi,

I am studying for CWNA exam. I am a data network engineer and hard to understand the RF technology. What are the best way to get hands on experience in different site survey products and which one I should use?

Regards,
    Fazlur.

• Hi Fazlur,

Many of the PC based tools have free trial downloads available. I would go that route first.

However before you do that, make sure you have the necessary hardware (Chipset, dongle, or PCMCIA card) required for each tool BEFORE you run the download. Otherwise you may run out of time before you find the correct adapter, or the $, for it. Run each one several times before you get the next. Some mfg's will allow you to extend the trial period, but otherwise you may not be able to continue running it, even if you perform another download.

Most of the trial versions have some restriction on them, like length of scan, number of AP's, location accuracy,or lack the ability to save the output. In that case you can use Screen Print and save the visual output.

Look around through the other forum posts and you will find other suggestions as to brands and features etc.

Good luck.

• If you are looking for hardware you can usually find used controllers and APs on ebay for a decent price. That is how I got my gear to learn on.

Sean Rynearson
    Wireless Systems Engineer
    ACMA, ACMP, ACCS
    Net+, CWTS, CWNA

• Thanks Guru and Sean for your comments.

@Sean, I have finished reading CWTS book (will start CWNA book soon) and seen description about lots of different tools. Which one is the most cost effective and which one you bought when you did test for your study?

Regards,
    Fazlur.

Page 1 of 1