Forum

• By (Deleted User)

hi,

my company currently has a number of cisco 1200 802.11b AP's, they use cisco 350 wireless cards and leap for authentication.
    presently they are seeking to expand their wireless availabilty and someone suggests purchasing 802.11a APs and sticking with leap or maybe switching to peap.
    Is this the correct way to go? isn't 802.11g a better migration path, since they existing 11b cards will work with the 11g AP's?
    Which is more popular for large enterprise organizations 11g or 11a?
    Also, I know that leap can be hacked. Any thoughts on peap or perhaps something else?

• By (Deleted User)

In my opinion, it would be best to migrate from your .11b only APs to newer .11g/a capable Cisco APs such as the AP1230 and AP1130 platforms. This will give your company the ability to support existing 350 client cards while also allowing the introduction of newer .11g clients, and .11a clients, if necessary.

Your existing LEAP implementation can be made much more secure by implementing TKIP, MIC and strong passwords. In addition, you can retain the existing implementation while adding support for additional EAP protocols like PEAP. This will allow your company to migrate to the security solution that is the best fit. It's possible that you may need to continue support for older clients while supporting the increased capabilities of new clients. This is certainly possible by configuring the Cisco APs to simultaneously support multiple VLANs, each with a different SSID and EAP mechanism.

Contact your local Cisco sales office or reseller or call 1-800-GO-CISCO for assistance.

Joel Barrett

• By (Deleted User)

thanks for your response Joel.
    If we upgrade or migrate our APs to 11a/g, but continue to use some of our .11b clients, I am worried about the effect of the protection ripple problem, that could affect the throughput of our 11g clients.
    we may also have a few 7920 phones in the equation - which I believe is only 11b at this point. not sure how well these work in and 11g environment.

• By (Deleted User)

Setting up VLANs might be a solution you conider for this network. Segregating the various devices my appplications (voice , video) may very well be your best solution for now.

Page 1 of 1