Forum

• By Howard - edited: March 30, 2021

While searching for verifiable data on current Mesh routers, I came across a lot of marketing hyperbole.   I was especially disappointed in the blather from (Amazon) Eero and their output power claims - which appear to fly in the face of FCC standards, and user performance reports.

Given the mix of  price and features available in today's Mesh market, there are just too many variables to make a case for a one size fits all solution.   One of the largest variations between competing products is in the realm of security options and the price of those options.  At least one comes with a security package installed for free, but must be renewed later at an additional cost. 

Instead of making a report biased towards L1 & L2 performance parameters, as I sometimes do,  I would like to recommend the thorough 2021 report from Toms Guide:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mesh-router,review-5191.html

One piece of information I could not find, was a discussion of the best installed-height for mesh satellite units.   Given the lack of publicly available information on transmission (antenna) patterns, I can only predict that the recommendations for other routers -  placing them up away from the floor, is also the best advice for Mesh routers.   Atop a bookcase is where I would suggest.

Page 1 of 1