Forum

• Hi there, I have recently been forced by laptop failure to move to a new laptop running 32bit W7.

It would appear that most of the cards and utilitites I used previously with Windows XP want to work properly under W7 - Cisco AIR-CB21AG, Symbol LA-5030 for example.

I find the internal wireless support in Windows 7 too restrictive in terms of being able to define a list of different WLAN profiles and rapidly switch between them, also getting to the lower level parameters of the card configuration seems to be too well masked.

Can anyone recommend a well supported dual band card that is compatible with W7 and has a seperate client utility to allow me to get into the nitty-gritty of configuration parameters, maintain a list of different profiles and allow fast switching between them etc?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Steve.

• The Cisco Linksys AE1000 is is a dual band-n USB dongle, compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions of WIN-7. It is also compatible with Wildpackets OmniPeek packet analyser.

More and more often, manufacturers are supplying fewer configuration controls and utilities with their devices. Too often customers were messing things up, and the companies were spending too much on customer support because of it - it's easier to just not provide them.

Fragmentation settings are a good example of a once ubiquitous control, that has been "removed".

• By (Deleted User)

I'm a big fan of the Proxim Wireless Orinoco card.

• I use the Proxim card too. It does almost everything I want, but it doesn't connect to my USB only WIN-7 Laptop.

I also use the AE1000's to perform simultaneous scanning on three channels.

• Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably look to get one or more AE1000's I guess.

Page 1 of 1